good C compiler

polychrom

Is there some good and convenient C compiler (freeware), to compile C
source code? Just compile ready source code, some handy tool for non
programmers.

thanks.

AB

Is there some good and convenient C compiler (freeware), to compile C
source code? Just compile ready source code, some handy tool for non
programmers.

thanks.

If you're on Windows, then you can try Visual C++ 2005 Express
Edition. Microsoft gives it for free. If you're on Linux, then you can
try out GCC. It usually comes bundled in the distro.

polychrom

AB пиÑал(а):
If you're on Windows, then you can try Visual C++ 2005 Express
Edition. Microsoft gives it for free. If you're on Linux, then you can
try out GCC. It usually comes bundled in the distro.

Yes, on Windows. How many resources it required? Is it compact?

osmium

If you're on Windows, then you can try Visual C++ 2005 Express
Edition. Microsoft gives it for free. If you're on Linux, then you can
try out GCC. It usually comes bundled in the distro.

Yes, on Windows. How many resources it required? Is it compact?

Surely you must be joking.

After all, he did say it is from Microsoft.

cp

Yes, on Windows. How many resources it required? Is > it compact?

I use the express version of Visual C# on my laptop and during the
installation procedure you can choose to install the basic necessaties or
include a SQL server and some other stuff.
So it comes down to how much you really want the program to include i
guess.

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
AB said:

Yes, on Windows. How many resources it required? Is it compact?

No.

If you want neat, clean, compact, go for Digital Mars's compiler:

<http://www.digitalmars.com>

No installation required - just stick it in an intelligently-named directory
(e.g. C:\DMC) and you're done. (For easiest use, you have to make one
teeny-weeny change to your path - see the readme file - but that's no big
deal.)

polychrom

Richard Heathfield пиÑал(а):

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Is the Digital Mars C++ compiler better then ms Visual C++ 2005
Express? How many size required this ms Visual C++ 2005 Express? I
would preffer do not install toll I use once per year.

thanks.

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
Is the Digital Mars C++ compiler better then ms Visual C++ 2005
Express?

Define better.
How many size required this ms Visual C++ 2005 Express?

Digital Mars is tiny. I don't know how big VC2005Express is, but knowing
Microsoft, it'll be huge.

polychrom

cp пиÑал(а):
I use the express version of Visual C# on my laptop and during the
installation procedure you can choose to install the basic necessaties or
include a SQL server and some other stuff.
So it comes down to how much you really want the program to include i
guess.

yes, it problem to find how much resources require this msVisual C++
express.
There are no description in ms site.

AB

To make things a little clearer...Visual C++ 2005 Express is an IDE,
not just a compiler. It's a 450 MB (approx) download. If you want only
the command line compiler, try the .NET Framework SDK. It includes the
C++ compiler, without the IDE. And yes, it is completely free even
though it is from Microsoft.

Al Balmer

Richard Heathfield ?????(?):

Digital Mars is good. You might also take a look at www.openwatcom.org

Ian Gay

To make things a little clearer...Visual C++ 2005 Express is an
IDE, not just a compiler. It's a 450 MB (approx) download. If you
want only the command line compiler, try the .NET Framework SDK.
It includes the C++ compiler, without the IDE. And yes, it is
completely free even though it is from Microsoft.

For a free windows C compiler you could try mingw (a gcc port) or
openwatcom. They are each around 100Mb, installed, depending on the
options you choose.

Andrew Poelstra

Is there some good and convenient C compiler (freeware), to compile C
source code? Just compile ready source code, some handy tool for non
programmers.

A compiler is almost by definition a tool not used by "non programmers",
but if you need one for Windows, I recommend DJGPP.

I'm not sure how big it is, but it doesn't have an IDE or anything, so
that probably counts for something.

Mark McIntyre

AB ?????(?):

Yes, on Windows. How many resources it required? Is it compact?

Like all MS software, its enormous.

You can get gcc for windows too, try the cygwin implementation, it
works fine.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Ian Gay

Yes, on Windows. How many resources it required? Is it compact?

Like all MS software, its enormous.

You can get gcc for windows too, try the cygwin implementation, it
works fine.
[/QUOTE]

mingw gives you the same thing with less hassle.

napi

Is there some good and convenient C compiler (freeware), to compile C
source code? Just compile ready source code, some handy tool for non
programmers.

You can check out a C compiler called AMPC at http://www.axiomsol.com
It is available on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux x86.
It produces .class files that can run on any JVM enabled
system.

Cheers.

Napi

Ian

Is there some good and convenient C compiler (freeware), to
compile C source code? Just compile ready source code, some
handy tool for non programmers.

I find TCC (Tiny C Compiler) to be one of the best free C compilers
out there. It's extremely small, and it produces small executables
and fast code. The complete installation is about 1.12MB. It's
intended for Linux, but there is a Windows port available and it
includes the windows API headers.

You can get it here: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/

polychrom

I find TCC (Tiny C Compiler) to be one of the best free C compilers
out there. It's extremely small, and it produces small executables
and fast code. The complete installation is about 1.12MB. It's
intended for Linux, but there is a Windows port available and it
includes the windows API headers.

You can get it here: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/

Different compilers produce the different size EXE of the same source
code?
If so, however, the better is compilers that produce a small, compact
code.

I will need to change(configure) URL in source code, how do better deal
with this?

thanks.