Good Family Portal System?

Kirk Larsen

Here's what I want:

1. Simplicity. I basically want to be able to post news on the front
page, similar to a blog.

2. Good Image Gallery. I would like something that is simple to
navigate and supports captions.

Bonuses:
1. Random picture module on home page
2. The ability for visitors to leave comments (preferrably without
logging in)
3. Skins

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

These groups are great for questions dealing with individual coding
problems, not for finding entire web-based applications handed to you.
Either build it, pay someone to build it, or buy it.

Ray at work

Kirk Larsen

Well Ray, thanks for all your help. Did someone defecate on your
cornflakes this morning? My thinking was that since this is an ASP
forum, some people might have had exposure to a web-based application
which would fit the criteria that I'm looking for. I know that there
are plenty of freeware solutions out there, but I've been unable to
find one that suits my needs. If the question bugs you that much, you
don't need to cop an attitude, just don't answer.

As far as your "solution", here is my answer:
"Either build it, "
Don't have the time
"pay someone to build it, "
Don't have the money (it's a family website)
"or buy it"
Like I said, I know there are freeware solutions out there

Like I said previously, if you feel that I'm cluttering up your forum
with a question you don't like, then just ignore it.

Jeff Dillon

Hey. I agree with Ray. Did you want someone here to write the whole thing
for you?

You take an existing one and modify it. Or you build it yourself, and ask
specific questions here.

Otherwise, consider hiring someone.

Kirk Larsen

Jeff, I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I don't think
that you read my post. I don't have the time or money to build the
thing myself. I know there are free solutions out there, so I was
just posing a question to the board to see if anyone had experience
with one of these systems that might suit my needs. As far as I'm
concerned, it's a perfectly legitimate question. I never said I
wanted someone on this board to write a whole solution for me, but I'm
not going to reinvent the wheel if there is a preexisting solution
that will work for me. I posed the same question to the php side of
the board, and they were quite helpful and not condescending or rude.
If you don't know of any of these products, that is fine, but I don't
understand the hostility.

To those who posted helpful responses, THANK YOU!!!

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Perhaps it was merely a misunderstanding since your original post said
something like:

I want:
This
That
The other

As opposed to:

I want:
This
That
The other
Is anyone familiar with any freeware ASP-based solutions that fit this
description?

Ray at home

Jeff Cochran

Here's what I want:

1. Simplicity. I basically want to be able to post news on the front
page, similar to a blog.

2. Good Image Gallery. I would like something that is simple to
navigate and supports captions.

Bonuses:
1. Random picture module on home page
2. The ability for visitors to leave comments (preferrably without
logging in)
3. Skins

Obvious answer:

http://www.google.com/search?q=free+asp+portal

Though you don't seem to be locked to ASP, you did post in an ASP
group.

Jeff