Good Java Books for animation applets

Thanasis

Hello to everyone,

i'm new to Java and OO programming, though familiar with procedural
languages like Pascal,Cobol,C.
I have been assigned a project, to simulate some Graph Algorithms (Dijkstra
etc.).My project mainly deals with
java applets that simulate algorithms via ANIMATION.
Could please someone experienced java programmer suggest to me some good
books i must read in order to program these animation applets?

Is SWING the only thing i must read ?

Wishes
thanasis

Karsten Lentzsch

Thanasis said:
Could please someone experienced java programmer suggest to me some good
books i must read in order to program these animation applets?

Is SWING the only thing i must read ?

You should learn the Swing basics, may consider learning
about the powerful Java2D API. And make sure you understand
threading and buffering techniques.

Many animated applets combine these techniques and use
frame-based animation iterations - and that's a good thing.
I provide a free framework for time-based animations, see
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/animation/
On the page you can find an article around basics of
time-based animations.

For the threading stuff see Sun's Swing connection.

Hope this helps,
Karsten

Thanasis

Thanks a lot