Suggestions For Good Java Books

noid droid

I'm looking for some suggestions for *good* Java programming books.

I'd like the book to be current. Java 2 is newer, right?

I have C++ and VB programming experience.

I know basic programming, so I don't need lessons on what loops and other
programming basics are. I don't want a book that devotes a whole lot of
space to teaching the basics. A little is OK. But not a lot.

I want a Java tutorial, not just a reference. I want to learn the features
of the language, libraries, etc.

I've learned that a good book is hard to find. So, that's why I'm asking
for suggestions. I don't want to waste my money.

If you have any suggestions, please provide them. Thanks.

Sudsy

noid said:
I'm looking for some suggestions for *good* Java programming books.

Does it have to be a book? If you've got relatively speed 'net access
then why not work through the definitive tutorial at the Sun site?
<http://java.sun.com/tutorial>
It's current, it shows you how to use the popular packages, IOW hard
to bet. And "from the horse's mouth" to boot.

Arun

The best book I've seen is "Heads up Java" - another O'Reilly offering
:)

But if you know C++, then the best thing would be to pick up Core Java
1 & 2 by Horstmann.

And ofcourse, as someone suggested, the Sun tutorials :)