Google Groups and indentations

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach (e-mail address removed):
I noticed it too, I think at least a week back. There is still some
weird artifacts that show up if you view with google, but they are not
there with other news readers or even google's show original option.

I don't know if I really believe this whole 'killfile' thing. I think
it's a myth, like skinny people saying that they don't watch what they
eat. I think that the temptation to see what dumb newbies like me and
worse are posting is too great to filter out. How boring would it be
just to read the proper postings?

It was certainly not a myth in my case. Also, it's not necessarily about
clueless posters but simply about postings with scrambled code snippets
that I cannot be bothered to decipher.
People could write a filter that runs code in usenet postings through
perltidy just so all formatting is to their liking.

It's not that there wouldn't be enough other postings in this group.
Still plenty to read if a certain amount of them disappears.

Apart from that, a perltidy filter isn't as easy as it may appear. First
you have to identify which parts are code and which are text. They are
usually interleaved. Furthermore, you have to deal with long lines,
especially comments at the end of the line that wrap around. Perltidy
cannot handle this.
This would be a great feature to be built into a Perl newsreader, a
program-as-module built on CGI::Application or something like that.

Go ahead. I'll promise to use it when it's better than slrn. :)

Tassilo

jl_post

I don't know if anyone cares, but it seems like Google Groups is
finally allowing indentations to be preserved.

Now I can post code with indentations intact without resorting to
having to place "| " before all my lines of code.

(I'm sure this is a change that the Python newsgroups really
appreciate, as well... :)

Brian McCauley

I don't know if anyone cares, but it seems like Google Groups is
finally allowing indentations to be preserved.

Now I can post code with indentations intact without resorting to
having to place "| " before all my lines of code.

Yippee.

But since many of the most knowledgible people have killfiled google
there's still cause to avoid it. This is a pitty because I post via
Google about 15% of the time.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Brian McCauley:
Yippee.

But since many of the most knowledgible people have killfiled google
there's still cause to avoid it. This is a pitty because I post via
Google about 15% of the time.

Yesterday I saw an article posted via google rather by accident (I only
saw the follow-up and then wanted to look up the parent, too). I did
notice the indentation but wanted to have more evidence that this has
really been fixed.

Apparently it has so I can remove the killfile entry again. Others will
follow, I am sure.

Tassilo