Google maps api and callbacks

Lemon Tree

Hi everybody.

I am new to Javascript so probably I am asking something trivial, but I
cannot see where there problem is.
Or, better. Maybe I know where the problem is but I cannot find a
solution. So, here we go...

I have loaded an XML document containing a bunch of addresses.
For each address I would like to put a marker on a map using the Google
Maps API. In order to do so, I iterate over the address tags in the XML
file and for every address I create an object whose fields are the
address to look for (name) and the id of an icon to use for the marker
(icon).

At every iteration I call the getLocation method of GClientGeocoder
that performs the search, asynchronoulsy. This method requires a string
representing the address and a function that will be called as a
callback when the search is over. The callback function accepts 2
parameters, the data representing all the found information with
respect to the searched address and a responseCode.

Now, I would like to pass to the callback also the allocated address
object. In this way, when a serach is over I can easily retrieve the
icon associated with the looked-up address. In order to do so I pass to
the getLocation method a closure that simply forwards the geocoder
results to another function that accepts also a third parameter that is
the address object.

Here it is the code:

var markers = xml.documentElement.getElementsByTagName("address");
for(var i = 0; i < markers.length; i++) {
var address = new Object();
address.name = markers.getAttribute("name");;
address.icon = markers.getAttribute("icon");

geocoder.getLocations(address.name, function(data, response) {
getLocationsCallback(address, data, response);
}
);
}

Now the problem is the following:
Suppose that I have an xml with 4 addresses A1, A2, A3, A4.
Everything works well, getLocationCallback is called 4 times. Data and
response parameters correctly contain the found map data... BUT...
address is always A4 at every call!!!

Maybe the problem here is with variable scoping and parameter passing.
But I cannot see a solution to achieve what I wanted to do.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you for your help.

Richard Cornford

Lemon said:
[...]

All the function objects created to be call back functions share the
Activation/Variable object of the execution context in which they were
created, and it is that single Activation/Variable object that has the
- address - property representing the local variable. When your call
back functions come to act the value of the one - address - property of
the one Activation/Variable object the call back functions share has
the value last assigned to it; the value of the final address object
created.

But I cannot see a solution to achieve what I wanted to do.

Multiple Activation/Variable objects each referring to a different
address object. Something like:-

function doStuff():
var markers = xml.documentElement.getElementsByTagName("address");
for(var i = 0; i < markers.length; i++) {
var address = new Object();
address.name = markers.getAttribute("name");;
address.icon = markers.getAttribute("icon");
geocoder.getLocations(address.name, getCallBackFor(address));

function getCallBackFor(address){
return (function(data, response){
getLocationsCallback(address, data, response);
});
}

Richard.

Lemon Tree

Richard said:
All the function objects created to be call back functions share the
Activation/Variable object of the execution context in which they were
created, ...
Thank you for your enlightening reply.

googleAcct

Lemon said:
Thank you for your enlightening reply.

and after answering the hard part, I can chime in with the easier part
- if those are the same addresses, definitely store them somehow rather
that looking them up each time.

In my app, I am mapping places that dont change, so I use a seperate
program ahead of time and geocode the addresses and add that to the
rest of the record.