gtkwave-3.3.6 released

bybell

[I tried to post this as a response to an earlier announce but wound
up simply sending an email to myself...here goes again.]

A bit of a delay on this release because of the complexity of some of
the new feature adds.

Most notable is support for the long awaited user-generated
"transaction traces" (at the moment, not in Windows except for cygwin
users). See screenshot here: http://gtkwave.sourceforge.net/

The example is for real and a variant of it is included in examples/
directory. Start by reading the comments at the beginning of
transaction.c. You won't care about the particulars of how analog
data is encoded on TI-99 cassettes unless you've been curious for the
last 30 years, but most of the stdin/stdout traffic is significant.

This should have some quite interesting uses such as allowing users to
make ops such as bus transactions more human readable and meaningful
as it's now possible for external programs to look at various signals
over the length of simulation and generate traces as a response to
what is in the signal data. Of course this could have uses for
example with kernel tracing utils and other such debugging software
which generated VCD data.

3.3.6 can be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkwave/

To use:
(1) group the traces you want to feed into your transaction
executable.
(2) set a transaction filter executable for the grouped "vector" trace
(3) filter reads and processes VCD data (which contains extra hints
for easier processing) from gtkwave
(4) filter generates 1 or more sets of trace data. To display extra
sets of generated trace data, simply insert blank lines after your
vector trace for the extras traces. [I know this is a bit of a hack,
but for now I wanted to get this working rather than treat user-
generated traces as if they were a part of the dumpfile.]

There is some documentation in the gtkwave.odt file, however for now
between the docs and example source, it shouldn't be too hard to
figure out how this works. I'll improve the documentation in an
upcoming release.

As a side note, do an fst2vcd on transaction.fst and you'll see one
reason why I'd like that to be the dumpfile format of choice for
gtkwave from now on: excellent compression and it's fast.

Cheers,
-Tony