GUI programming with python

zamil

Hello Everyone

It's my very first email to this group. i am a beginner programmer of
python. it it possible to build Desktop application using python.
Which IDE should i use for this purpose? I will be glad if anyone can
give link of python ebook.

Thanks in Advance
Zamil

Alan Franzoni

zamil was kind enough to say:

[cut]

If your needs are very basic, you can stick with the tk module that comes
with python. It's not really feature-packed, but it's maintained and pretty
cross-platform.

Otherwise, you can pick any supported widget set you like and use the
proper python bindings. You didn't tell us which OS you'd work with, hence
we can't tell you what's the best choice (if there's any).

BTW you should be able to enjoy GTK+, QT or Swing (if using Jython on Java)
or anything found in MS.NET (if using IronPython) - or you can go for
wxPython as well.

GUI Designers are widget-set related - I can suggest gazpacho for GTK+.

--
Alan Franzoni <[email protected]>
-

Bruno Desthuilliers

zamil a écrit :
Hello Everyone

It's my very first email to this group. i am a beginner programmer of
python. it it possible to build Desktop application using python.
Yes.

Which IDE should i use for this purpose?

I suspect you are confusing "IDE" with "GUI builder". FWIW, you don't
*need* any IDE nor GUI builder - a decent code editor is enough. Now if
you really want a GUI builder, you'll have to choose one that's tied to
your GUI toolkit and that run on your platform.

Al Dykes

zamil was kind enough to say:

[cut]

If your needs are very basic, you can stick with the tk module that comes
with python. It's not really feature-packed, but it's maintained and pretty
cross-platform.

OK, what are my choices for an IDE/GUI development tool that runs on XP?

Thanks

Stef Mientki

Al said:
Alan Franzoni said:
zamil was kind enough to say:

[cut]

If your needs are very basic, you can stick with the tk module that comes
with python. It's not really feature-packed, but it's maintained and pretty
cross-platform.

OK, what are my choices for an IDE/GUI development tool that runs on XP?

Thanks
From Linux guys, I hear that PyScripter is the best,
they also want to have it, but unfortunately it only runs under windows ;-)

cheers,
Stef

Mike Driscoll

Alan Franzoni   said:
zamil was kind enough to say:

If your needs are very basic, you can stick with the tk module that comes
with python. It's not really feature-packed, but it's maintained and pretty
cross-platform.

OK, what are my choices for an IDE/GUI development tool that runs on XP?

Thanks

Here's a few:

WingWare: http://www.wingware.com/
SPE: http://pythonide.blogspot.com/
Eclipse + Python plugin = EasyEclipse (PyDev):
http://easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/python.html
Or you could use Google and you would have found this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

Mike

sturlamolden

OK, what are my choices for an IDE/GUI development tool that runs on XP?

That depends on the GUI toolkit you are using. My suggestion:

CPython with wxPython: wxFormBuilder

Cpython with PyQt: BlackAdder

CPython with PyGTK: GLADE 3

Jython: whatever there is for Swing or SWT.

IronPython: MS VisualStudio

Cpython + PyWin32: GUI with VB/Delphi/C#. Python ActiveX server (can
use MFC).