Header problems using themes/master pages in 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, May 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have an application that works fine on localhost, but when it is deployed
    to a production server, I get the following error:

    Using themed css files requires a header control on the page. (e.g. <head
    runat="server" />).

    I am using themes and a single Master Page for the application, with the
    theme being set globally in the web.config file <page theme="xxx" /> is, off
    the top of my head, the markup, though don't quote me on that. ;-)

    I don't get this error locally, and don't understand really what the problem
    is. I am not able to add the <head> tag directly into the pages (this gives
    me a validation error), and it is clearly marked in the master page,
    including the runat="server" attribute.

    Any ideas? I'm supposed to deploy this site by tommorow morning, sigh. ;-(

    Christophe

    Guest, May 31, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Strangely, I notice this problem only happens when I put an empty path (such
    as http://server/foldername) ... if I put a full url
    (http://server/foldername/default.aspx) it works fine. This is still
    unacceptable to me, though, since many users will drop the page name and they
    would be right to expect that raw path should work as well (and it's also
    nicer to site just the path in manuals, etc.)

    I noticed this because I found a site where someone else had the same
    problem and made this observation:
    http://community.discountasp.net/pr.aspx?f=24&m=6791

    Guest, May 31, 2006

  3. Hello Christophe,

    Thank you for posting.

    From your description, you've developed an ASP.NET 2.0 web site application
    which uses a single master page and some global Theme resources(skin and
    css style). This works well in development machine but failed on the
    production server, correct?

    According to your application's structure and scenario, I've performed som
    tests in my local test environment(windows 2003 server , .net framework
    2.0/vs 2005...), however, failed to reproduce the same behavior.
    Generally, such issue is likely environment specific. And I've also checked
    the method involved in the error callstack you mentioned:

    PageTheme.SetStyleSheet()

    It just simply check the container Page's "Header" property and the
    "Header" property should have been correctly assigned for your scenario.
    BTW, is the problem specific to MasterPage based pages? If you creating a
    non-Master page based page (which applies some Theme and stylesheet), will
    it also suffer the problem? In addition, you can try testing it on some
    other server machine to see whether it occurs(confirm whether it is project
    specific issue), if only on that parituclar production server, we may need
    to concentrate on the ASP.NET environment on that machine.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security