[Help] C++ Language

Huy Ton That

I have had some experience with programming and some with c++. Here is my
situation: I need to learn ANSI C++ in it's entirety from the ground up.
Where do I start? I already have Borland Builder 6 so a compiler is not an
issue. Please be specific in your replies; I would appreciate it greatly.
Thank you in advance.

-Huy

Greg P.

There is no better book for standard C++ than The C++ Programming Language:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-5750351-7153416?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Depending on how much you already know, you could just read most of the
ANSI/ISO C++98 specifications (Document: ANSI ISO IEC 14882-1998):
ftp://ftp.research.att.com/dist/c++std/WP/CD2/ (note that his is an
older/obsolete one, but free)

| I have had some experience with programming and some with c++. Here is my
| situation: I need to learn ANSI C++ in it's entirety from the ground up.
| Where do I start? I already have Borland Builder 6 so a compiler is not
an
| issue. Please be specific in your replies; I would appreciate it
greatly.
| Thank you in advance.
|
| -Huy

John Harrison

Huy Ton That said:
I have had some experience with programming and some with c++. Here is my
situation: I need to learn ANSI C++ in it's entirety from the ground up.
Where do I start? I already have Borland Builder 6 so a compiler is not an
issue. Please be specific in your replies; I would appreciate it greatly.
Thank you in advance.

-Huy

You could probably try 'The C++ Programming Language' by Bjarne Stroustrup.

Your compiler very definitely is an issue if you really want to learn the
entire language. Many compilers do not implement some advanced features of
C++, or implement them wrongly. Partial template speciailization and Koenig
lookup are the obvious examples. Not sure about Borland Builder 6 in this
respect.

john