Help! fonts render differently on different servers

pinhead

I have a custom java app that I invoke from ColdFusion that builds
graphics dynamically. It has to be very specific on font sizing and
text layout inside a EPS doc. The problem I am having is that I
installed fonts in the /jre/lib/fonts directory on all my servers
(dev/qa/prod) which appear to load and work, or at least call the
correct font face. However the fonts render differently once I move
the files from my development server to my qa/production servers.
Almost as if the fractional metrics work on one server but not the
other, also one is slightly bolder then teh other. I have three font
files representing normal, bold and oblique of a customized font. It
seems as though one server draws the font slightly bolder with the same
fonts and code base. I am at a loss trying to find what may be
different in the configurations between the servers. Note I have not
added entries to thefont.properties but as I understand it is not
entirely necessary.

The jvm.config is set as such:
java.args=-server -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -DJINTEGRA_PREFETCH_ENUMS
-Xbootclasspath/a:{application.home}/lib/webchartsJava2D.jar
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmn512m -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -XX:+UseParallelGC
-XX:+AggressiveHeap
-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=com.macromedia.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserF­actoryImpl

-Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=com.macromedia.crimson.jaxp.Docu­mentBuilderFactoryImpl

-Djava.awt.fonts=/raid/coldfusion/runtime/jre/lib/fonts

I have changed it to run in headless mode on a redhat install (Linux
2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp) (Is this possibly a X11 config issue?)
ColdfusionMX 6.1.0.83762, JVM - 1.4.2-b28 I have tried PJA etc which
failed my needs in certain instances with CF. Everything works great
except for the font rendering. Also, I am using
fraction metrics for fonts (which does not seem to work at all) as I
have to have fractional font sizes ie) 5.7pt.

Any hints as to what may be different between the systems would be
really appreciated.

Thank you,