Help: How can I convert an BMP file to JPG file ?

Kane

Hi all,

I need to convert some BMP file to JPG file in my perl program. I would
really appreciate if anyone of you can give me some help about this.

Thanks,
Kane

Kane

Thanks for your kindly help.

I've downloaded perlmagick full package from the website just now. When
I try to run a simple script after the installation, it keep trying to
find "perl56.dll", but I am using Perl 5.8.*. Do you know how to deal
with it?

Thanks,
Kane

Bart Lateur

Kane said:
I've downloaded perlmagick full package from the website just now. When
I try to run a simple script after the installation, it keep trying to
find "perl56.dll", but I am using Perl 5.8.*. Do you know how to deal
with it?

You would appear to have gotten the wrong binary version of perlmagick.
You want a version for perl 5.8.x, not for 5.6.x.

Alan J. Flavell

Kane wrote: [...]
I need to convert some BMP file to JPG file in my perl program. I would
really appreciate if anyone of you can give me some help about this.
[...]

Try ImageMagick.
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/perl-magick.php

That's certainly a powerful package, and probably well worth having
for someone who's seriously into image manipulation.

But for straightforward image conversion, resizing etc. (and
particularly where the same process is wanted to be applied to a bunch
of files), I've been a happy user of the Netpbm package. Which can of
course easily be driven from a perl script.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/netpbm/

I've been familiar with it and its earlier versions in many different
unix contexts for years. Apparently, Win32 systems are also covered
now: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/netpbm.htm

regards

Kane

Bart and Alan, Thanks,

It seems that both PerlMagick and Netpbm are not pure perl solution, so
If I want to make a EXE file(using Perl2EXE etc.) and send to others, I
should send some other DLL/EXE files with it, right?

Do you know any other way to solve this problem? I just want to convert
the JPG files to BMP files, and I don't want to send too much files to
those who will use my program.

Regards,
Kane

Alan J. Flavell

It seems that both PerlMagick and Netpbm are not pure perl solution,

I could be proved wrong, but I would not expect to find a pure perl
program to convert BMP to JPEG format.
so If I want to make a EXE file(using Perl2EXE etc.) and send to
others, I should send some other DLL/EXE files with it, right?

The original question was that -you- wanted to do the conversion. Now
it seems that you want to equip others (but of unstated skillsets) to
perform the conversion?

In general they could follow the same recipes to download and install
the software, that you would have followed yourself. I'm no great fan
of folks re-packaging existing versions of software (that never get
bugfixes, and stick at a frozen version), even where the terms of use
permit it. Unless of course they have an effective procedure for
supporting the repackaged software.
Do you know any other way to solve this problem?

Sure: set up the converter as a CGI script on your web server and let
them use it.
I just want to convert the JPG files to BMP files,

You originally said the opposite. But these solutions can do either
(and much more).

good luck