help! I can not get fade-in or fade-out of opacity in IE

Jake Barnes

Please go look at this page using FireFox:

http://www.ralphkrubner.com/Commercial/

Click the "Next" button a few times. The images fade out and then fade
in. It's a nice effect.

Now do try to do the same in IE (6.0). The images don't fade into each
other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.

Can anyone tell me why that is? Does IE not recognize opacity?

petermichaux

Jake said:
Please go look at this page using FireFox:

http://www.ralphkrubner.com/Commercial/

Click the "Next" button a few times. The images fade out and then fade
in. It's a nice effect.

Now do try to do the same in IE (6.0). The images don't fade into each
other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.

Can anyone tell me why that is? Does IE not recognize opacity?

I believe that IE does not recognize opacity the same way as other
browsers. You might get some tips for how to solve the problem by
looking in the Yahoo! UI DOM library

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/dom/YAHOO.util.Dom.html#setStyle

Peter

Randy Webb

Jake Barnes said the following on 8/31/2006 12:01 PM:
Please go look at this page using FireFox:

http://www.ralphkrubner.com/Commercial/

Click the "Next" button a few times. The images fade out and then fade
in. It's a nice effect.

Now do try to do the same in IE (6.0). The images don't fade into each
other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.

Can anyone tell me why that is?

Because IE does not support the opacity that Firefox does.
Does IE not recognize opacity?

No. But it does use Transformations, which were the reason Mozilla
implemented opacity to start with.

View this page:

In IE, and use the Next/Previous buttons. It uses very IE specific code
but it fades the images in and out like you want. Specifically, it uses
document.all but that could/should be changed to gEBI.

Evertjan.

Jake Barnes wrote on 02 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
So IE returns "undefined" if I try to get the opacity of an element? So
I could test for that and maybe do a straight slide show, with no
graceful fades, if opacity is undefined?

Why not use IE's filters for fading in that case?

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/
filter/reference/filters/fade.asp>

Jake Barnes

Evertjan. said:
Jake Barnes wrote on 02 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

Why not use IE's filters for fading in that case?

Mostly lack of time - this is a project I was suppose to put one day
into and instead I put 3 days into it. But also, the IE filters seem
terribly non-standard to me. Won't IE be supporting opacity in the
future? It's an official part of CSS2. IE once lead the way in
implementing CSS. They've since lost their lead, but I assume at some
point they'll catch up.

Evertjan.

Jake Barnes wrote on 03 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Mostly lack of time - this is a project I was suppose to put one day
into and instead I put 3 days into it. But also, the IE filters seem
terribly non-standard to me. Won't IE be supporting opacity in the
future? It's an official part of CSS2. IE once lead the way in
implementing CSS. They've since lost their lead, but I assume at some
point they'll catch up.

"terribly non-standard" ?

Do you want the standard,
or get your page on the web looking like your concept?