Help: invalid class string instantiating

Cameron Lewis

System: Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates

Error Type:
Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)
Invalid class string
/index.asp, line 20

The code:
SET fs = Server.CreateObject("scripting.fileSystemObject")

This was working just fine up until I just installed Microsoft's latest
updates from their updates site. Now, suddenly, I'm getting this error
message on a very basic line of code. I cannot stress enough that this is
the ONLY thing I've changed.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS. No luck. I tried manually
registering scrrun.dll from windows\system32. No luck. I searched and
searched via google, and got lots of people running into the same problem,
and not actual solution.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please forgive me if I haven't
included some vital detail... I'll be happy to in a follow-up.

-Cam

xhead

If you open RegEdit on the machine you are running this on, can you
find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Scripting.FileSystemObject ? Under this folder
there should be a CLSID folder with the guid
{0D43FE01-F093-11CF-8940-00A0C9054228} (or similar) - can you find this
ID in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID? If so, there should be a folder
InProcServer32 with the path to the scrrun.dll file (in
C:\windows\system32\ on my machine). Can you verify that you have that
file?

How about creating another web page with the same code behind it (but
don't copy and paste - retype that particular line, just in case you
have some sort of string weirdness in there). Maybe that might help
you. Perhaps (for ultimate paranoia) the string is now case-sensitive
for some reason - try Scripting.FileSystemObject? (that seems highly
unlikely)

Or it could be a permissions issue, but it doesn't look like that is
the case, based on the message you are reporting.

Mike

Cameron Lewis

I see the Scripting.FileSystemObject folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, but I
don't see an InProcServer32. Not sure how that should look. Could you
perhaps email me a .reg or something that I can look at? Or just post it
here as text, perhaps?

I see the scrrun.dll in windows\system32, but I don't know what the
InProcServer32 stuff is. :)

I tried running some very simple sample code with the object off
Microsoft's site, and even that didn't work, so I know it's not a simple
typo or anything. :)

I had also tried adding the internet user account to administrator, just in
case it was a permissions issue, but no dice.

Thanks for your help! It looks like I might just need to know what
InProcServer32 should look like in the registry to get this working again.

-Cam

Cameron Lewis

Well, I searched for scrrun.dll, and there is a
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\0D43FE01-F093-11CF-8940-00A0C9054228
that points to the correct place in it's InprocServer32 folder.

I guess I"m at square zero again. :(

I love how Microsoft issues patches that break other parts of the system.
I'm frustrated beyond belief at this point, and there's absolutely no way
I'm reinstalling windows because of this. :(

-Cam

xhead

I see you've already tried the big hammer for the Permissions case, but
here's an article that might help you track down a little finer for the
permissions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175804/

In it there is some useful instructions on turning on Auditing to see
what permissions are being requested (and perhaps denied?)
Mike

Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
set permission for FileSystemObject

Cameron Lewis said:
System: Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates

Error Type:
Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)
Invalid class string
/index.asp, line 20

The code:
SET fs = Server.CreateObject("scripting.fileSystemObject")

-Cam

open regedit.exe
go to this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Scripting.FileSystemObject
right click and choose Permissions...
set permission as follow:
. users read
. system full read
. power read
. creator owner
. admin full read
or see neighbor's permission of this key and do as them

Attachments

  • filesystemobject-error.jpg
    filesystemobject-error.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 256