Help... Just installed Visual Studio .Net 2003 and can't get samples to work

Mark

Hi... I am new to this so appollogies if I am asking in the wrong place...
If not could someone please point me in the right direction. This is driving
me crazy, I only logged on to have a quick play and that was hours ago...

I have just installed VS.net 2003 (full install) and have a couple of
problems I expect these are common newbie problems). I am running widows xp
sp2 and sql server 2000...

1) I can't access the on-line "quickstart" tutorials. The folders were
created succesfully on my IIS but all I get is "you are not authorised etc.
I am logged on with full admin rights etc.

2) When I try and run the samples (e.g. the datagrid) I get the following
error

"An unhandled exception of type 'system.data.sqlclient.sqlexception'
occurred in system.data.dll additional information: system error"

I can connect just fine from the same machine to the server via Access and
have even tried copying the .exe to the server (with the connection string
set to local etc.) but nothng works :mad:(

Thanks very much :mad:)

Mark

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

can you display a simple page? start with that first. open a form, drop a
component on the form and run it into debug mode. If the form shows up
correctly, then you can eliminate vs studio installation errors and focus on
permissions errors with sql.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc

Mark

Alvin

Thanks for that... I can create forms etc. and am able to access sql server
through ADO. I think you are right about the permissions. I would very much
like to get the samples working but I'm not sure where to start. I am logged
on with full admins etc. I would also like to be able to view the quickstart
pages that were installed on my IIS...

Shouldn't this sort of thing be easy bearing in mind I installed everything
from microsoft (while logged on with full admins) according to the
instructions?

Thanks again

Mark

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

It doesn't matter what you log in as, ASP.NET runs under a separate account,
definitely not the admin account. First, make sure IIS is running and setup
correctly. it doesn't hurt to run an aspnetregiis -c (not sure of the
option) at the command prompt to make sure things are warm and fuzzy for
ASP.NET. Then point your browser to http://localhost/localstart.asp if that
works, then you should be able to modify the path to quickstart to have it
work. You would need the correct extension since IIS wouldn't know what
quickstart is so something like http://localhost/quickstart.aspx should
suffice.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc

Mark

Alvin

Thanks for that. The IIS install was / is running fine. It turned out that
the directorys where the quickstart stuff was installed didn't have adequate
permissions. The set-up is never connected to the outside world so I just
cheated and granted pretty much everything to everyone :mad:)

Thanks again

Mark