HELP: Moving projects to another drive

Cirene

All my ASP.NET websites/projects are in my C:\Work drive. I want to move
them to F:\Data\Work

For each project I have a web deployment project as well, such as:
C:\Work\Project1
C:\Work\Project1_deploy

If I move them do I have to change anything, or will it still work because
the deployment project is in the same directory?

Thanks!

sloan

If youre in asp.net 2.0, and you're not using IIS, then I think you'll be
ok.
(aka, try it and see).

if you're using asp.net 2.0 and IIS, or asp.net 1.1...then you'll need to
open
myproject.vbproj.webinfo
or
myproject.csproj.webinfo

Ok the above files are 1.1 I think.
In 2.0 (and IIS) you'll need to open up the csproj or vbproj file in
notepad.exe and find this:
<WebProjectProperties>
<UseIIS>True</UseIIS>
<AutoAssignPort>True</AutoAssignPort>
<DevelopmentServerPort>1044</DevelopmentServerPort>
<DevelopmentServerVPath>/</DevelopmentServerVPath>
<IISUrl>http://localhost/DotNet/v20/Source/Applications/MyWebApp/</IISUrl>
<NTLMAuthentication>False</NTLMAuthentication>
</WebProjectProperties>

Now you can adjust these on the "proper" project properties page inside
VS2005. But its important to understand what is happening.
(of course the IISUrl is the important one)

and take a look. (Again, open them in notepad.exe so you can see what is
going on, and it'll start to make sense)

Aka, the mappings will be off. You'll have to recreate virtual directories,
and manually fix the webinfo file to line up correctly.

If you get a

myproject_1

type message, click CANCEL, or you'll be in for a long recovery.

Rule of Thumb:

When IIS is involved. The IIS setup, the webinfo file, and the physical
directory all need to be lined up correctly to work.
and when you see "_1" or "_x" where x is a number, you know you've screwed
up.

Take my hints with a grain of salt, I'm just relying what I think will
happen.

You probably need to try it. And with the hints above, you can fix the
issues.

If you post any more quesitons, please post which version of asp.net you're
using, and if 2.0, whether youre doing it thru IIS or not.
Thus you can avoid the "if you got this, then do this, but if you got this,
then do this other thing" type comments.

Cirene

Thanks sloan i'll give it a try...