Help needed with hide/show js script

news frontiernet.net

I am trying to make a community housing web page more interesting and more
useful to visitors by using some javascript to show a larger photos on
mouse-over of a thumbnail photo, rather than just provide a normal on-click
link to a larger jpg. I am atytracted to this approach because it seems like
such a smoother and more visually interesting process for the visitor than
causing the visitor to leave the page to display the larger photo.

I, eventually, want thumbnails images on each property with JS show/hide to
see a larger version of each image.

This seems like it should be simple.

My original attempt is here:
http://www.wgtn.net/Community/Housing/apartments_pics_showbyposition.htm

Yet, once I begin to add more thumbnails, there were many unpleasant,
peculiar things happening. Such as doing the js function on some of the
images and yet not on others. I searched for syntax errors. I tried various
structural changes in the Div's. Nothing seemed reliable. I began to think
the JS script needed to be updated. So I searched for a new script .

The next js script I attempted to use is here:
http://www.wgtn.net/Community/Housing/apartments_pics_togglebox.htm

That new script, also, has its own peculiarities, even in JUST MSIE!.
Gazzooks!

Both of these attempts to do something so simple have left me feeling
frustrated, hopeless, inadequate and dumb.

I do a community website mostly on a volunteer basis. This particular page
gets visited about 500 to 600 times a year. The community is about 11,000.
There are lots of people looking for housing. It is possible to provide so
much more information with a web page and in a more interesting way than you
can provide with a paper tri-fold. Thus, this effort seems worthwhile for me
even at that low visitation level.

For the time being, I have stripped the js code and have gone back to the
RELIABLE archaic on-click link from each thumbnail image to a larger jpg
displaying separately ( like another document). That document is here:
http://www.wgtn.net/Community/Housing/apartments.htm

I sure would like a mouse-over display within the same document from each
thumbnail. Even tho loading all those larger images will take bandwidth, it
seems so much more useable, so much more visually impressive and thus, more
informative, that I am willing to sacrifice the load time.

Is there someone that can show me how to get this mouse-over show/hide JS
sapproach to work RELIABLY, CROSS-BROWSER. Well, at least on modern browsers
( since NS4)?

I am a cut-n-paste js user. So, please keep any sugestions simple. An
Example of implementation would be nice!

Thanks!