help - python can't find file

enquiring mind

-learning python with limited knowledge of linux.
-get error msg 21 "file or directory does not exist"
-running Suse linux 10.
-haven't had a problem before
- rebooted several times.
-python opened in shell/terminal program Konsole window like this
user1@linux!~ - shell - Konsole
Sessions View Bookmark Settings Help

-first line in window gives me a linux prompt:
user1#linux:~>

- whereupon I type python and get >>> a command line I think it is
called or type python pyfilename.py and it runs/interprets/opens
the file on screen

- but now I get a error message 21 saying file or directory doesn't
exist.

- my py files are created with editor gedit
- clicking on any py file and linux asks me to open it with what
program and I choose utilities/editdors/gedit and it works.

-all my py files contain the following lines at the beginning
#! /usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

# filename: blankpy.py (for example of a file name)

- my linux file structure is as follows shown under Konqueror window:
rootfolder
bin
boot
dev
etc
home
user1
bin
desktop
documents
lib
media
dvdrecorder
floppy

- (for example, and continues on, of course)

- none of my python books or linux books show that I can type
python /dev/sda/ blankpy.py and get python to open it like in
windows98 or dos python A:\blankpy.py

embarrassed and frustrated

Dennis Lee Bieber

-first line in window gives me a linux prompt:
user1#linux:~>

- whereupon I type python and get >>> a command line I think it is

Okay, you've now started the INTERACTIVE interpreter mode...
called or type python pyfilename.py and it runs/interprets/opens
the file on screen

The interpreter has no idea of how to process a statement starting
with the word "python"
- but now I get a error message 21 saying file or directory doesn't
exist.
Should be invalid syntax... (the following is M$ Windows, but the
concept should still apply).

E:\UserData\Dennis Lee Bieber\My Documents\Python Progs>python
ActivePython 2.4.3 Build 12 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.4.3 (#69, Apr 11 2006, 15:32:42) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. File "<stdin>", line 1
python t.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

E:\UserData\Dennis Lee Bieber\My Documents\Python Progs>python t.py
pre: 5032

In the first, "I" try to run a program by typing "python filename"
inside the interpreter. The second is what should be done to run a
program from a file -- you type everything at the terminal window
prompt.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

darren kirby

quoth the enquiring mind:
- but now I get a error message 21 saying file or directory doesn't
exist.

You must be in the same directory (in konsole) as the python script for this
to work, else enter the relative path to the file:

Assuming you are in your home directory (this is where a new konsole will
start you), and the py scripts are in a directory 'pythondir':

$ cd pythondir
$ python myscript.py

or:

$ python pythondir/myscript.py

You could also chmod the script to be executable and run it as a regular
command ...however... I don't mean this to sound like RTFM but I do think
that you could use some reading on Linux CLI usage. You say you have some
Linux books?

I say this as my reading of your message indicates your problems lie with
misunderstanding the shell/paths etc, not with Python itself...

-d

enquiring mind

darren,

thanks for your explanation. I copied my paths and listed them in my
code file
#! /bin/user1/ python

and python finds the file and interprets it so that will keep me going
until my buddy returns to the city to explain my errors. It appears
that my problem arose from taking lesson code out of text books and
copying the pathing that is I guess slightly different than mine.

Thanks ever so much.
tk