Help: Using Multiple Checkboxes or Checkboxlist to filter results in a gridview in ASP.NET 2.0 / VS2

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Faybert, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Faybert

    Faybert Guest

    Hello, and Thanks in advance for any light you might shed on my
    troubles.

    I'm trying to setup a series of checkboxes, or a checkboxlist to
    control the results that are shown on a gridview control.

    I have a column in my database that hold the current status of the
    items in there. If I used a checkboxlist and populate it with my
    options, and set the SQL statement on my gridview control to:
    "SELECT [DB_ID], [P_Name], [Status], [Stamp] FROM [Patches] WHERE
    ([Status] = @Status) ORDER BY [Stamp] DESC"

    @Status is my checkboxlist control.

    It only partially works, if I select only one checkbox, it updates the
    page correctly, if I select more than one, only the first one selected
    gets shown and the rest are ignored.

    I've also tried setting up 5 individual checkbox controls, and changing
    my SQL to:
    "SELECT [DB_ID], [P_Name], [Status], [Stamp] FROM [Patches] WHERE
    Status IN (@Param1, @Param2, @Param3, @Param4, @Param5 ) ORDER BY
    [Stamp] DESC"
    I've set ConvertEmptyStringToNull on all of these Param's to True and
    False. When using the default PropertyName for the Paramater of
    Checkbox.checked, I get this error.
    "Syntax error converting the varchar value 'mystring' to a column of
    data type bit." (I understand why, now, just including what I've done
    already)

    If I use checkbox.text for the Parameter, it's always active since the
    ..text property doesn't change dynamically with it being checked or not.

    Basically, I have a page that I want users to be able to filter how
    much of the page they see by selecting 1 more more checkboxes. Any
    suggestions on how I can get this filter up and going?

    Faybert, Dec 29, 2005