Help with sets

Steve Howell

In message

No idea. It’s just that the example being discussed in this thread seemed to
come under the old term “orthogonality”, so I wondered why a different term
was being used.

So far no-one has come up with a good excuse for using a different term.

Ask the authors of PEP 234 why they use the term symmetry:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0234/

That was the original context of my comment. The term "symmetry" gets
used a couple times in that PEP, and I think we're in violent
agreement that the concept of "symmetry" is wishy-washy at best.

Here is just one example from the PEP:

The symmetry between "if x in y" and "for x in y"
suggests that it should iterate over keys. This symmetry has
been
observed by many independently and has even been used to
"explain"
one using the other.

I think I'm just making the same observation as you coming from a
different angle. Why talk about "symmetry" when it's such a tricky
balance?

Gregory Ewing

Steve said:
That was the original context of my comment. The term "symmetry" gets
used a couple times in that PEP, and I think we're in violent
agreement that the concept of "symmetry" is wishy-washy at best.

Here is just one example from the PEP:

The symmetry between "if x in y" and "for x in y"
suggests that it should iterate over keys.

Maybe "analogy" or "similarity" would be a better word here.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
Steve said:
Agreed. "Analogy" seems particularly appropriate.

Except that, while analogies can be handy for illustrating things, they are
useless for actually supporting arguments.

Steve Howell

In message

Except that, while analogies can be handy for illustrating things, they are
useless for actually supporting arguments.

And only a fool would try to support his argument by actually
illustrating a point, right? ;)