Help with xslt

Mike

Hello,
I am using Oxygen to help with the learning process. I have the
following xslt and I am trying to understand why I am only getting
one "name" (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>Belgian Waffles)from
the xml file below.
Thanks

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="2.0">
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:value-of select="/breakfast_menu/food/name"/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>Belgian Waffles

<!-- Edited by XMLSpy® -->
<breakfast_menu>
<food>
<name>Belgian Waffles</name>
<price>$5.95</price>
<description>two of our famous Belgian Waffles with plenty of real
maple syrup</description>
<calories>650</calories>
</food>
<food>
<name>Strawberry Belgian Waffles</name>
<price>$7.95</price>
<description>light Belgian waffles covered with strawberries and
whipped cream</description>
<calories>900</calories>
</food>
<food>
<name>Berry-Berry Belgian Waffles</name>
<price>$8.95</price>
<description>light Belgian waffles covered with an assortment of
fresh berries and whipped cream</description>
<calories>900</calories>
</food>
<food>
<name>French Toast</name>
<price>$4.50</price>
<description>thick slices made from our homemade sourdough bread</
description>
<calories>600</calories>
</food>
<food>
<name>Homestyle Breakfast</name>
<price>$6.95</price>
<description>two eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, and our ever-popular
hash browns</description>
<calories>950</calories>
</food>
</breakfast_menu>

Mukul Gandhi

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="2.0">
    <xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:value-of select="/breakfast_menu/food/name"/>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

xsl:value-of creates a text node. and this is how it works in XSLT 1.0
and 2.0 respectively.

If you run the above code with a XSLT 2.0 processor (like, Saxon),
you'll get *all the names* in the output separated by a space
character.

but if you run the above code with a XSLT 1.0 processor, you'll get
only the 1st element of the nodeset (called sequence in 2.0).

Regards,
Mukul

Mike

xsl:value-of creates a text node. and this is how it works in XSLT 1.0
and 2.0 respectively.

If you run the above code with a XSLT 2.0 processor (like, Saxon),
you'll get *all the names* in the output separated by a space
character.

but if you run the above code with a XSLT 1.0 processor, you'll get
only the 1st element of the nodeset (called sequence in 2.0).

Regards,
Mukul

Thanks,
Mike