Hi. What would be the best language for creating a text game that includes relatively simple stats?

Joined
Jan 2, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a very acute mind but graphics are not one of my strong points. I would like to create a "Choose Your Own Adventure"-type text game with relatively simple stats. What would be the best programming language to use to create such a game?

Joined
Jan 2, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Text adventure game with stats. Any suggestions on programming language? Or would it be better to ask on a specifically game coder's forum for such questions?

Joined
Mar 28, 2022
Messages
82
Reaction score
11
I did it on a 30-year old Texas Instruments programmable calculator.
You could probably also do a good job of it with a bag of diodes and an alphanumeric display.

Joined
Dec 21, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
I have a very acute mind but graphics are not one of my strong points. I would like to create a "Choose Your Own Adventure"-type text game with relatively simple stats. What would be the best programming language to use to create such a game?
hey, same with me, I am not good in graphics (see my icon on the left... ;) ). So, if it comes to games, I always think about if it could be possible with text / ASCII graphics only....

What kind of text (or ASCII) adventure do you have in mind?
Like the player choose the next action / answer of a dialog?
Or do you imagine a very simple ASCII art adventure?

For that kind of games I would either use C++ with a console application
or use a script language either Python or Lua (whereby I don't know if Lua is easy to use as standalone script).
I am developing a new script language TeaScript (see link in my profile).
One feature packet on my list is to provide a tiny simple API for console text manipulation like cursor movement, clear screen, change text color and also read input from keyboard like the arrow keys.
If that API is implemented, a text adventure (and other ASCII games) would be easily possible with TeaScript as well.
If I find enough supporter and/or interested people for this API, I will give it a higher prioritization.