Hierarchical Membership Implementation

rwoodruf

Hello,

I am attempting to utilize the membership provider to do the following:

Boss > Manager > Employee

which means that Boss has all the rights of the Manager, the Manager has all
the rights of the Employee (which means the Boss has all the rights of the
Employee) and both the Boss and Manager have individual rights in addition to
the same rights of their underlings.

Is this something that anyone has had success doing with the default
membership provider or will I have to roll my own?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

-- Rodney

Adlai Maschiach

Hi

I haven't done this , But I know you can extend existing
"ROLES" table and add an SQL Trigger which on each insert or update
would look at the updated / inserted row and make the required changes

that's how I would do it

Mark Stevens

Hello,

I am attempting to utilize the membership provider to do the following:

Boss > Manager > Employee

which means that Boss has all the rights of the Manager, the Manager has all
the rights of the Employee (which means the Boss has all the rights of the
Employee) and both the Boss and Manager have individual rights in addition to
the same rights of their underlings.

Is this something that anyone has had success doing with the default
membership provider or will I have to roll my own?

I do not have a strict hierarchy as such but we do have a similar
situation (multiple roles needing access to the same pages but not
others). I simply use

<allow roles="role1, role2, role3">

in the web config for the pages in question.

Hope this helps,
Mark
--
|\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!

Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

This message is provided "as is".