How are web 2.0 applications developed?

Jeff

Hey

I was surfing the web after info about ajax/web2.0, and came across this
link:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0470087889.html
That book says you/I will learn how web 2.0 applications are developed..

Isn't developing web 2.0 applications the same as any other web
application... or what?.. if developing for web 2.0 has a different approach
than please provide me with a link so I can read about it.. I don't want to
buy that book... I like the books of wrox, it's just that I want to save
money

any suggestions?

Jeff

Spartanicus

Jeff said:
I was surfing the web after info about ajax/web2.0, and came across this
link:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0470087889.html
That book says you/I will learn how web 2.0 applications are developed..

Isn't developing web 2.0 applications the same as any other web
application... or what?.. if developing for web 2.0 has a different approach
than please provide me with a link so I can read about it.. I don't want to
buy that book... I like the books of wrox, it's just that I want to save
money

Again: the phrase "web 2.0" is a load of marketing hoopla. But seeing as
you are not prepared to accept that, spend the money and get jiggy with
the O'Reilly invented buzz speak.

David Segall

Jeff said:
Hey

I was surfing the web after info about ajax/web2.0, and came across this
link:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0470087889.html
That book says you/I will learn how web 2.0 applications are developed..

Isn't developing web 2.0 applications the same as any other web
application... or what?.. if developing for web 2.0 has a different approach
than please provide me with a link so I can read about it.. I don't want to
buy that book... I like the books of wrox, it's just that I want to save
money

any suggestions?
Web 2 is a rather fuzzy concept of what the Web will look like in the
future
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html>.

However Ajax, which will probably be the foundation of that future,
has been around for several years. If your current applications' forms
have a "Submit" button it will change the way you write them. IBM have
an excellent tutorial here
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro1.html>

Toby A Inkster

Jeff said:
Isn't developing web 2.0 applications the same as any other web
application... or what?

Web 2.0 is a buzzword, so (as others have said) there's no one single
method for developing web 2.0 applications, nor indeed a solid definition
of what a web 2.0 application is.

But certainly certain development methodologies are often *associated*
with web 2.0. Look into "Agile development" (release early and release
often). Certain technologies are very fashionable in web 2.0: AJAX is
very popular, so is JSON; the use of emerging scripting languages like
Ruby and Python is common too. Also, Google for "prototype.js" and
"script.aculo.us".

A lime green logo and a light grey diagonally stripey background are
essentials.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/CSS/Javascript/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!