Logo for Single Page Interface (SPI) web applications

timsamshuijzen

The website I am developing is implemented as a Single Page Interface
(SPI). During a visitor's session all new content gets loaded by
JavaScript (Ajax), no new pages get loaded and the URL in the address
bar does not change. This has many advantages for the website
application I am building (I will not go into the details of the
advantages here), but the obvious down-side is that the visitor will
get unexpected results when pressing the Back or Refresh/Reload
buttons. There are several projects and solutions on the web
describing ways to go about this, but I want to keep things simple by
simply making it clear to the visitor that the website is an "SPI
website", making it clear that the back button does not work as
expected within the website.

Anyway, to get to the point: It would be great if "SPI" has its own
logo which web application developers can use to place on SPI-websites
so that visitors will see that it is an SPI website. I have not seen
any such SPI logos out there, so I thought this would be the place to
discuss, create and possibly agree upon the design of such a logo (if
anyone here is interested and would also like such a logo to exist). I
am not a designer myself and I am currently using a very simple logo-
design that is displayed in the top banner of the website:
http://www.megabooksearch.com/

So if anyone here would like to suggest a proper logo we can all agree
on, that would be great for SPI developers (and eventually for
visitors too). The idea is that eventually most visitors will
gradually recognize the logo and know what the logo means. If this is
not the right place to discuss this, then please accept my apologies.

Thanks.

Tim Samshuijzen

N.B. I am aware/expecting that many here will think this is all a bad
idea because the browser's functionality should always function as
expected.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

The website I am developing is implemented as a Single Page Interface
(SPI). During a visitor's session all new content gets loaded by
JavaScript (Ajax), no new pages get loaded and the URL in the address
bar does not change. This has many advantages for the website
application I am building (I will not go into the details of the
advantages here), but the obvious down-side is that the visitor will
get unexpected results when pressing the Back or Refresh/Reload
buttons. There are several projects and solutions on the web
describing ways to go about this, but I want to keep things simple by
simply making it clear to the visitor that the website is an "SPI
website", making it clear that the back button does not work as
expected within the website.

Have you considered making the back button work. It is possible to have
some back-button functionality in a page that isn't reloaded. You can
check what the Google Web Toolkit does to achieve this.

Reload is a larger problem, if you can't save enough state in a cookie
to recreate the page.
Anyway, to get to the point: It would be great if "SPI" has its own
logo which web application developers can use to place on SPI-websites
so that visitors will see that it is an SPI website.

Something saying "This page breaks the back button" :)
Yep, I'm one of the nay-sayers. Just do it right instead.

Certainly, "SPI" is a technical term that one cannot expect a user to
understand. Something like "Warning: Web-application" would be better,
with a tooltip that explains the problem.
N.B. I am aware/expecting that many here will think this is all a bad
idea because the browser's functionality should always function as
expected.

Indeed. And with good reason.
/L