How can I debug into the Temporary ASP.NET Files folder?

Warren Tang

Hi

I am trying to debug the code generated for aspx files. The following
assembly is generated for an aspx page:

App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_aspx.ProcessRequest(System.We...

However when I click on the it in the Call Stack window, it says:

There is no source code available for the current location.

I know the location of the .cs file (in the Temporary ASP.NET Files
folder). But how can I tell Visual Studio to use that source code file?

Thanks.

Regards
Warren

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Warren,

Why do u want to debug this stuff?!
is it your component or what?!

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
:: http://twitter.com/laflour

WT> Hi
WT>
WT> I am trying to debug the code generated for aspx files. The
WT> following assembly is generated for an aspx page:
WT>
WT> App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_a
WT> spx.ProcessRequest(System.We...
WT>
WT> However when I click on the it in the Call Stack window, it says:
WT>
WT> There is no source code available for the current location.
WT>
WT> I know the location of the .cs file (in the Temporary ASP.NET Files
WT> folder). But how can I tell Visual Studio to use that source code
WT> file?
WT>
WT> Thanks.
WT>
WT> Regards
WT> Warre

Warren Tang

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply. It's a web site of my own and I just want to know
how ASP.NET works under the hood.

One thing I am wondering is that, since I know where the source code is,
why doesn't VS let me tell it the path to the code?

Regards
Warren

Warren Tang

I can step into the .NET Framework code (such as System.Web,
System.Web.UI), but the assembly compiled for an aspx page is missed out
(though symbols loaded). VS cannot locate the source code of the
assembly, nor does it allow me to tell it even I know it.

Warren said:
Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply. It's a web site of my own and I just want to know
how ASP.NET works under the hood.

One thing I am wondering is that, since I know where the source code is,
why doesn't VS let me tell it the path to the code?

Regards
Warren
Hello Warren,

Why do u want to debug this stuff?!
is it your component or what?!

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog:
http://spaces.live.com/laflour :: http://twitter.com/laflour

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c) Michelangelo

WT> Hi
WT> WT> I am trying to debug the code generated for aspx files. The
WT> following assembly is generated for an aspx page:

App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_a
WT> spx.ProcessRequest(System.We...
WT> WT> However when I click on the it in the Call Stack window, it says:
WT> WT> There is no source code available for the current location.
WT> WT> I know the location of the .cs file (in the Temporary ASP.NET
Files
WT> folder). But how can I tell Visual Studio to use that source code
WT> file?
WT> WT> Thanks.
WT> WT> Regards
WT> Warren

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Warren,

Did you set you VS to load all missed symbols?! http://blogs.msdn.com/sburke/archiv...tudio-to-debug-net-framework-source-code.aspx

---

Warren said:
Hello Warren,

Why do u want to debug this stuff?!
is it your component or what?!
---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog:
http://spaces.live.com/laflour :: http://twitter.com/laflour
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
Michelangelo

WT> Hi
WT> WT> I am trying to debug the code generated for aspx files. The
WT> following assembly is generated for an aspx page:

App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_a
WT> spx.ProcessRequest(System.We...
WT> WT> However when I click on the it in the Call Stack window, it
says:
WT> WT> There is no source code available for the current location.
WT> WT> I know the location of the .cs file (in the Temporary
ASP.NET
Files
WT> folder). But how can I tell Visual Studio to use that source
code
WT> file?
WT> WT> Thanks.
WT> WT> Regards
WT> Warre

Warren Tang

I've read that article before. I can make sure that all symbols are
loaded successfully.

To repro this,
1. add a line in the Page_Load; set a break point on it; Press F5;
2. When the vs debugger breaks, select the following assembly from
call stack window:

App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_aspx.ProcessRequest(System.We..

3. Double click on it, and the error pops up:

There is no source code available for the current location.