How do I change the behavior of the 'python-docs' action in IDLE?

samwyse

In the Windows version of Python 2.5, pressing F1 brought up the
python.chm file. I've just installed 2.6, and the same action opens
http://www.python.org/doc/current/. I'd prefer the former behavior.
I know how to change the key bindings in config-keys.def, but I think
I want to change the action, not the key binding. Thanks.

Raymond Hettinger

In the Windows version of Python 2.5, pressing F1 brought up the
python.chm file.  I've just installed 2.6, and the same action openshttp://www.python.org/doc/current/.  I'd prefer the former behavior.
I know how to change the key bindings in config-keys.def, but I think
I want to change the action, not the key binding.  Thanks.

Quick fix: Go to the Doc directory and rename Python262.chm to
Python26.chm. Then, restart IDLE.

Slow fix: File a bug report. The link to www.python.org/doc/current
is the fallback when IDLE cannot find the chm file (either because it
has the wrong name or is in the wrong location).

Raymond

samwyse

In the Windows version of Python 2.5, pressing F1 brought up the
python.chm file.  I've just installed 2.6, and the same action openshttp://www.python.org/doc/current/.  I'd prefer the former behavior.
I know how to change the key bindings in config-keys.def, but I think
I want to change the action, not the key binding.  Thanks.

I just installed Python 3.0.1 via the Windows 32-bit installer.
Opening "Python Docs" takes me to http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/,
which doesn't exist. Renaming python301.chm to python30.chm or
python300.chm doesn't seem to help find that file. HELP!

Aahz

I just installed Python 3.0.1 via the Windows 32-bit installer.
Opening "Python Docs" takes me to http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/,
which doesn't exist. Renaming python301.chm to python30.chm or
python300.chm doesn't seem to help find that file. HELP!

IIRC, there's a bug report on this and it's fixed for 3.1 -- please be
patient (you can look at bugs.python.org if you want to check the
status).
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Given that C++ has pointers and typecasts, it's really hard to have a
serious conversation about type safety with a C++ programmer and keep a
straight face. It's kind of like having a guy who juggles chainsaws
wearing body armor arguing with a guy who juggles rubber chickens wearing
a T-shirt about who's in more danger." --Roy Smith, c.l.py, 2004.05.23

Terry Reedy

Aahz said:
IIRC, there's a bug report on this and it's fixed for 3.1 -- please be
patient (you can look at bugs.python.org if you want to check the
status).

Or switch now to 3.1rc1, which should have fewer bugs than 3.0.1.