How do I change the parent of a gridview bound to a SqlDataSouce?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Brian, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hey There,

    I've created a custom control in ASP.Net based on a Panel.
    I've only overridden one method.
    CreateChildControls
    In CreateChildControls I do the following:
    1. Create an ASP:Table, add a row, add a cell.
    2. Cycle through all of the controls of the custom control, remove them and
    add them to this table cell.
    3. Add the ASP:Table to the controls of this custom control.

    Databinding remains happy if I have TextBoxs or even DropDowns w/ a
    DataSource.

    But when I add a GridView bad things begin to happen.

    The GridView appears to require that I do an extra step:
    EnsureChildControls
    Data gets bound to the gridview if I do this.
    But ... I can't seem to update the value's of any of the cells.

    Clearly there are forces at work that I'm not aware of.

    Thanks,
    Brian

    Brian, Aug 10, 2006