How do i install Advanced Imaging ImageIO on MAC OS X?

Mark Space

SpreadTooThin said:
I'm trying to get at least the run time environment running on mac os
x 10.5
The nearest thing I can find is for linux, nothing for mac os x.
Can I use the files for linux on the mac?

This is where i found files:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/INSTALL-jai_imageio_1_0_01.htm

You definitely cannot use Linux. Mac OS is based on BSD, not Linux.
They're two totally different animals.

I seem to remember something about Apple not updating Java for older Mac
OS's. If you have an older Mac OS, you may be out of luck.

SpreadTooThin

You definitely cannot use Linux.  Mac OS is based on BSD, not Linux.
They're two totally different animals.

I seem to remember something about Apple not updating Java for older Mac
OS's.  If you have an older Mac OS, you may be out of luck.

10.5.6 is the latest mac os x.. and thats what I have.
so no building it from source.. I mean it is java isn't it? :)

Mark Space

SpreadTooThin said:
10.5.6 is the latest mac os x.. and thats what I have.
so no building it from source.. I mean it is java isn't it? :)

Then you should get your update from Apple's website -- I'm sure there
must be some Java updater built in. Isn't there?

Or do you mean that you want a Java release later than 1.6.0_7?

http://developer.apple.com/java/

John B. Matthews

SpreadTooThin said:
I'm trying to get at least the run time environment running on mac os
x 10.5 The nearest thing I can find is for linux, nothing for mac os
x. Can I use the files for linux on the mac?

This is where i found files:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/INSTALL-jai_imageio_1_0_01.htm

Assuming you meant this link, no. Mac OS is not a Sun supported platform.

<http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/INSTALL-jai_imageio_1_0_01.html>

This article suggests that it's already installed.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Advanced_Imaging>

Yes, there it is in /Developer/Examples/Java/JavaAdvancedImaging. Have
you installed the Developer tools from the DVD that came with your Mac? If
not, it's a free download from the site Mark Space helpfully suggested:

<http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html>

SpreadTooThin

Assuming you meant this link, no. Mac OS is not a Sun supported platform.

<http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/INSTALL-jai_imageio_1_0_0...>

This article suggests that it's already installed.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Advanced_Imaging>

Yes, there it is in /Developer/Examples/Java/JavaAdvancedImaging. Have
you installed the Developer tools from the DVD that came with your Mac? If
not, it's a free download from the site Mark Space helpfully suggested:

<http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html>

Reading through a wiki it seems they want java 5.5 installed on the
mac...
I don't know how that would be done. I tried installing the
developers tools but I don't seem to get anything higher than 1.6.

http://mircwiki.rsna.org/index.php?title=MIRC_Installation_on_Macintosh

John B. Matthews

SpreadTooThin said:
[...]
This article suggests that it's already installed.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Advanced_Imaging>

Yes, there it is in /Developer/Examples/Java/JavaAdvancedImaging.
Have you installed the Developer tools from the DVD that came with
your Mac? If not, it's a free download from the site Mark Space
helpfully suggested:

<http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html>

Reading through a wiki it seems they want java 5.5 installed on the
mac... I don't know how that would be done. I tried installing the
developers tools but I don't seem to get anything higher than 1.6.

http://mircwiki.rsna.org/index.php?title=MIRC_Installation_on_Macintosh

Looks like a typo; it's a little dated, too: 11 May 2007.

/Developer/Examples/Java/JavaAdvancedImaging has several nice demos, e.g.

java -jar Medical/MedicalApp.jar

The README mentions an image source.

Here's more on Java version numbering:

<http://java.sun.com/javase/namechange.html>

Tom Anderson

Reading through a wiki it seems they want java 5.5 installed on the
mac...

No such animal.
I don't know how that would be done. I tried installing the
developers tools but I don't seem to get anything higher than 1.6.

There isn't anything higher than 1.6. Install that and see what happens
when you try to use JAI!

tom