How do I make a piece of text in HTML non-selectable, but draggable?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Big Bolt, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Big Bolt

    Big Bolt Guest

    A piece of text on my HTML page is framed with DIV tags.

    While I want to be able to drag/drop it, I don't want it to be
    selected, since it interferes with dragging.

    I'd like to press a mouse key and drag it. Instead I start selecting
    the text and keep going down selecting everything underneath. So in
    order to actually drag, I have to Double-Click it first, and only
    after it allows me to drag.
    Do you know what I mean?

    If I do
    <DIV OnSelectStart='return false;'>inner text i want to drag</DIV> <-
    it allows me neither selection, nor dragging

    What I want works fine with links, but not with pieces of text.
    I need to be able to do the dragging of the inner text without
    selection.

    Is there any simple way?

    Big Bolt, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Big Bolt

    Etan Bukiet Guest

    what you can do is when the user presses the mousebutton (onmousedown) you
    can select the text (using textrange objects) and then when the user will
    move his mouse the ondragstart event will fire. an example of how to
    implement this follows:

    <script>
    window.onload = function()
    {
    var el = document.getElementById("mySpan");
    el.onmousedown = function()
    {
    var r = document.body.createTextRange();
    r.moveToElementText(el);
    r.select();
    }
    el.ondragstart = function(){alert("test")}
    }
    </script>
    </head>

    test</span> this is a test

    hope this helps

    etan

    Etan Bukiet, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Big Bolt

    Big Bolt Guest

    Thanks guys for your prompt response!

    Etan - worked like a charm, people will love it tomorrow.
    I spend the whole last night trying different tweaks to make it work.

    -------------- Here's how it finalized --------------------------
    OnDragStart='DragStart()'>my bloody text</div>

    <script>
    function OnMouseDown() {
    var obj = window.event.srcElement;
    var r = document.body.createTextRange();
    r.moveToElementText(obj);
    r.select();
    return true;
    }

    function OnDragStart() {
    event.dataTransfer.effectAllowed = "all";
    return true;
    }
    </script>

    Big Bolt, Jun 29, 2003