How Do You Pronounce char?

Billy Bong

How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
the char in character.

Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
charcoal.

How do you pronounce char?

Joakim Hove

How do you pronounce char?

I pronounce like in character - but I live in Norway so you probably
should not heed my advice :)

Joakim

cr88192

Billy Bong said:
How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
the char in character.

Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
charcoal.

How do you pronounce char?

how do you pronounce lots of things?...

ok, my case, like 'car'.
and, how is this: [kAr\].

[kAr], [xAr\], ... would probably also work.

however, not [kA@], as that is just lame.

oh, those, poor, poor, people who have the misfortune of living in the land
absent either 'r' or a hard 'ng' sound. we are [spikiN], not [spIk@n]...

Malcolm McLean

Billy Bong said:
How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
the char in character.

Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
charcoal.

How do you pronounce char?
"Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly "integer"
and "size type".

santosh

Malcolm said:
"Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly
"integer" and "size type".

Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
as "floating point" and so on?

Malcolm McLean

santosh said:
Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
as "floating point" and so on?
"float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
class.

Mark McIntyre

Malcolm said:
"float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
class.

My problem with this is that char is not synonym for character, and
float is not a synonym for real value.

Ido Yehieli

"float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
class.

But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the rational
fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not a real number.

-Ido.

Philip Potter

Ido said:
But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the rational
fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not a real number.

1/3 can be exactly represented in any implementation for which FLT_RADIX
is a multiple of 3. Admittedly this amounts to relatively few
implementations...

I'm disappointed that the C Standard requires an integer radix greater
than 1. What's wrong with negative radices like -2 or even irrational
radices like in phinary? <g>

Malcolm McLean

Philip Potter said:
I'm disappointed that the C Standard requires an integer radix greater
than 1. What's wrong with negative radices like -2 or even irrational
radices like in phinary? <g>
phinary computers have some technical advantages. No two adjacent bits can
be set, so you can detect memory corruption quite easily. Also, it might be
possible to make the transistors smaller.

Philip Potter

Malcolm said:
phinary computers have some technical advantages. No two adjacent bits can
be set, so you can detect memory corruption quite easily.

"phits" surely? :) And this doesn't detect all single-bit errors, only a
certain restricted class where the bit is adjacent to another bit.
Also, it might be possible to make the transistors smaller.

That is probably true. However it takes more phits to count to a given
integer than the equivalent number of bits, partly through the ban on
adjacent set bits and partly through the inclusion of a load of
irrational sqrt(5)-based numbers in the gamut. As a result, more
transistors will be needed.

Kenneth Brody

Billy said:
How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
the char in character.

Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
charcoal.

How do you pronounce char?

Didn't this exact question come up a few months ago?

In any case, I pronounce it "Throatwobbler Mangrove".

Keith Thompson

Malcolm McLean said:
"Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly
"integer" and "size type".

Bad idea.

"char" is the whole word. "character" is a different word with a
different meaning.

"int" is the whole word. "integer" is a different word, with a
different meaning. ``unsigned short'' is an integer type; it's not
``int''. You should consider at least acknowledging that your
campaign to require int to be 64 bits, and to eliminate all other
integer types, has not yet succeeded.

CBFalconer

Ido said:
But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the
rational fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not
a real number.

As integers, try 1, 3, 0. If you want exact values you are out of
luck, even if the machine has floats, doubles, etc. of any finite
size. However you can represent 1/3 as a rational.