How does one use the selected value of one control to set the contents of another?

Ted

I am working on a couple simple projects designed to help me get
comfortable using ASP.NET v2 and v3; one involves basic scheduling and
the other setting and acting on user preferences. In the first
instance, I see myself using a calendar control and a table with two
columns (one for time and the other for appointment details). What I
want to do is use a stored procedure which takes a date as an argument
to return records for all appointments for the selected date, and
populate the table with the results. This would ultimately evolve into
an exercise that supports activity in a business where an employee can
see when specific colleagues are available, a supervisor can schedule
meetings with one or more subordinates when all involved, and a
suitable meeting room, are available, or assign tasks to subordinates
who have the time, or to himself. In the other, imagine a situation in
which the user works with data representing weights of materials to be
managed, and the user can choose whether he works with imperial or
metric data (with necessary conversions for common data handled behind
the scene). So, if he chooses metric, in one dropdown box, he sees
only tonnes, kilograms, grams, milligrams, &c. in the second, while if
he chooses imperial in the first, he sees tons, pounds, ounces, &c. in
the second.

In both cases, it looks to me like basically a single task, that is to
use the current selected value from one control as the parameter value
for the stored procedure that populates the second. The only
difference is the identity of the controls in question, and I do not
know if that difference affects how the task is done.

Creating the requisite tables and relationships in the database back
end is easy, and I have a clear idea of how I want the interface to
look. The problem that remains to be solved is how to get everything
talking to each other.

Of course, I will inevitably have to create login pages and make my
queries that populate my controls depend on the user ID, but that is
another issue, and how to do it is obvious once I figure out how to get
two controls on the same page to talk to each other.

I am working with MS Visual Studio 2005, and created simple, braindead,
ASP Websites in it. I can work with C# or VB, or any of the other
languages supported by MS Visual Studio, and I want to be able to
access data stored in MS SQL Server 2005, MySQL, and PostgreSQL, and in
MS Access files (but I don't have MS Access - I just need to access
Access DB files because I have access to a couple public domain
databases that had been created using Access).

Thanks,

Ted