How hard is it to embed xml in an html page

jalexa9898

I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
embed it in some html is this hard to do?

Martin Honnen

jalexa9898 said:
I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
embed it in some html is this hard to do?

HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
something more suitable for web browsers.

jalexa9898

What if your programming in flex
Martin said:
HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
something more suitable for web browsers.

Peter Flynn

jalexa9898 said:
What if your programming in flex

Code is just code. The language is not significant. Provided you escape
< and & as &lt; and &amp; you can just use the <pre> element to hold
the code for display.

If you want the XML to be *interpreted* by the browser as XML, that's
an entirely different question, which Martin has already answered. But
in that case it's XML, not Flex. Browsers won't do anything with flex
code (except ignore it).

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

jalexa9898

But if the flex is embedded in the xml wouldn't it read it then

jalexa9898 said:
But if the flex is embedded in the xml wouldn't it read it then

Wouldn't what read what? Can you be a bit more specific about what you
want to do, then maybe we can help you.

///Peter

jalexa9898

Ok I will do my best to explain it here. Ok I have recently started to
program in a new language that has recently become popular called Flex.
It is made by the Adobe people. Now I know this is an xml newsgroup and
not a Flex newsgroup but I am just explaining it to clear things up.
Well one of the things Flex does is when you write a flex page it seems
to use xml. Apparantly the code is embedded in some xml. I guess I was
wondering if it would be difficult to put the code in to a webpage that
is on a server.
If this does not clear things up please say so.

Peter said:
jalexa9898 said:
But if the flex is embedded in the xml wouldn't it read it then

Wouldn't what read what? Can you be a bit more specific about what you
want to do, then maybe we can help you.

///Peter

Joe Kesselman

jalexa9898 said:
Well one of the things Flex does is when you write a flex page it seems
to use xml. Apparantly the code is embedded in some xml. I guess I was
wondering if it would be difficult to put the code in to a webpage that
is on a server.

I think that sounds like a question about how/whether Flex is processed,
rather than about how HTML or XML are processed. I'd suggest asking the
Flex community.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex

(I know almost nothing about Flex, and don't have time to research it
right now, so that's about as much help as I can give you.)

Peter Flynn

jalexa9898 said:
Ok I will do my best to explain it here. Ok I have recently started to
program in a new language that has recently become popular called Flex.
It is made by the Adobe people. Now I know this is an xml newsgroup and
not a Flex newsgroup but I am just explaining it to clear things up.
Well one of the things Flex does is when you write a flex page

A flex "page"? I thought flex was a programming language.
Do you mean you are using flex to output a HTML web page,
or has flex got some hidden magic inside it that creates web pages
without being asked to?
it seems to use xml.

Quite possibly. This would be a sensible choice.
Apparantly the code is embedded in some xml.

Yes, but *what* code? Flex code? HTML code? Something else you haven't
told us about? Can you give us a short example?
I guess I was
wondering if it would be difficult to put the code

*What* code? Your original flex code? Or something that flex has created?
in to a webpage that is on a server.

But if it's already creating web pages, you should be able to put
them on a server as they are. If not, why not?

///Peter