how many .NET languages?

jcnews

I am a beginning programmer. I used VB.NET. Can anyone tell me how many
..NET languages there are? Aren't there .NET languages made by companies
other than Microsoft? Is is possible to develop in .NET languages without
having to buy Visual Studio.NET? (I only have VB.NET in my visual studio
and don't want to pay $1000 for the rest).

If I write a program in VB.NET, can I go back later and make add-ons in
another .NET language?

Thanks,

Thomas Scheidegger [MVP]

how many .NET languages there are?

http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_dotnet.html#oo_dotnet_netlang

http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

possible to develop in .NET languages without having to buy Visual Studio.NET?
(I only have VB.NET in my visual studio

mostly only with command-line compilers.
The Windows-Forms designer (as you know it from VB.NET)
for e.g. C# is only in Visual Studio (or C# Standard Edition).

If I write a program in VB.NET, can I go back later and make add-ons in
another .NET language?

you can write libraries in other languages.