How protect executable by resource editing?

ovatta

Hi!
I have meke a simple programs on c++ with visual studio.
The program have a dll where I put my name e my personal details.
I realize that anybody can take my executable file and with a simpli
resource editor can be edit, delete or replace my details with other data.

How can block this possibility? How can prevent the resource editing? It's
possible?

Thanks.

kingfox

Hi!
I have meke a simple programs on c++ with visual studio.
The program have a dll where I put my name e my personal details.
I realize that anybody can take my executable file and with a simpli
resource editor can be edit, delete or replace my details with other data.

How can block this possibility? How can prevent the resource editing? It's
possible?

Thanks.

You can encrypt the personal details and put the encrypted string into
executable. You program then decrypt the encrypted information when
need.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Hi!
I have meke a simple programs on c++ with visual studio.
The program have a dll where I put my name e my personal details.
I realize that anybody can take my executable file and with a simpli
resource editor can be edit, delete or replace my details with other data.

How can block this possibility? How can prevent the resource editing? It's
possible?

Calculate a checksum of the program that is checked in all/most
functions in the DLL and if the checksum does not match then crash the
program.

Seriously though, why would you worry about that? I find it less than
likely that someone would actually try to steal your work and pass it
of as their own (I assume here that by personal information you mean
copyright information, if it's something else it should not be in the
file to start with).

ovatta

Erik Wikström said:
Calculate a checksum of the program that is checked in all/most
functions in the DLL and if the checksum does not match then crash the
program.

Thanks! This is a great idea!! Now I try it!! Thanks so much!
Seriously though, why would you worry about that? I find it less than
likely that someone would actually try to steal your work and pass it
of as their own (I assume here that by personal information you mean
copyright information, if it's something else it should not be in the
file to start with).

Yes, this is my foible. But shortly I would like to put my programs on
internet, how free programs, and my only request is that my programs remain
unchanged.

Thank for your help!

2

280Z28

ovatta said:
Thanks! This is a great idea!! Now I try it!! Thanks so much!

Yes, this is my foible. But shortly I would like to put my programs on
internet, how free programs, and my only request is that my programs remain
unchanged.

Thank for your help!

Don't waste your time "protecting" against this. Focus on the fact that
the honest users will honor your request to not change things. The
honest users are the majority.

The *only* two ways to keep someone in the non-honest minority from
changing your program without asking are:

1) Don't release your program or
2) Make your program completely undesirable