    wondering if there has been any summary on previous practices.

    Regards,
    Peng

    Peng Yu, Sep 20, 2009

  2. (Sorry for the late reply.)

    My advice: Don't write big projects. Not that Python can't do it, but
    because it's a bad idea in general. Instead, write lots of small,
    independent projects that have well-defined, simple interfaces and
    work together.

    First step is to map out what components you have and what their
    interfaces are. (The interface is what functions and classes exist and
    what their behavior is.) Nail this down early on.

    Try to reuse components from other projects. If something exists but
    it isn't up to par with what you need, adapt your interface
    requirements or consider contributing to the project.

    Next step is to build your scaffolding. For each component you'll be
    building, build up the interface and leave out the implementation. If
    possible, put in something reasonable but incorrect. For instance:

    def twice(x): return 1

    If that's not possible:

    def twice(x): raise NotImplementedError

    (If you think of 'twice' as something complicated like
    'standard_deviation', then you'll appreciate this more.)

    Next, get the stack "working". Although it will be incorrect, it
    should do something visible.

    Finally, flesh out the scaffolding by replacing the wrong
    implementations with correct ones, working from basic components to
    higher level components. Keep the stack working at all times.

    When writing unit tests, test only the code in the component and not
    code from another component.

    The structure of individual components or modules should be standard,
    not just for your project but for the vast majority of projects out
    there. Use paster to get your code setup. This will give you a good
    standard template to work from. Create a virtualenv to get your
    working environment. Then run "python setup.py develop" from each of
    the modules to install them in the working environment. If you have
    the dependencies mapped out, it should install all the stuff you need.

    In the end, you should get something that looks more like Pylons and
    less like Django. Projects built in this way tend to have more
    replaceable components and the components tend to be more useful
    outside of the project. That means you write less code and get more
    work done.

    Jonathan Gardner, Sep 29, 2009