how should I implement this authentication process

Jeff

hi

asp.net 3.5

I'm developing a websiteusing SqlMembershipProvider for handling users. Now
I've heard that there is a requirement that the authenication process is
done by another datasystem (on another server)...

So when user enters username and password, this information is sent to the
other system for processing. If the user isn't authenicated by the system
then deny access to the website. If user on the other hand is authenticated
then I should register the user in the database my website is using
(aspnet_Users). - so that I can add this user to roles and stuff like that
in my website. This registration should be done automatically in a
authenication event.

When an already registered user is authenicated, then there is no need to
create the user again in aspnet_Users, instead my system should update this
users Profile with info from the other system (that is only if some info has
been changed, the other system sends over some properties about the user,
like name, email, and stuff like that)...

How should this be done? in what event should I implement the code which
check users against another datasystem and add the user if he is
implemented?