How to clear file upload control inout box in Safari?`

effendi

I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?

Thanks in advance.

dorayme

I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?

So... there is no input box as displayed in Safari eh? And you
want the user, who cannot even see it, to be able to clear it?
Clear it of things he cannot put in it (because it is not there).

I like this. Where is Luigi?

What else can be said, something needs saying for sure?

What about:

Can you cut the hair of the bald King of France?

effendi

dorayme said:
So... there is no input box as displayed in Safari eh? And you
want the user, who cannot even see it, to be able to clear it?
Clear it of things he cannot put in it (because it is not there).

I like this. Where is Luigi?

What else can be said, something needs saying for sure?

What about:

Can you cut the hair of the bald King of France?

Dorayme

Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides that
they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to "clear" the
control. At best user can "replace" the selected file with another but
not clear it.

You know what I mean?

dorayme

Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides that
they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to "clear" the
control. At best user can "replace" the selected file with another but
not clear it.

You know what I mean?

Perhaps best to post a URL on Q like this.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides
that they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to
"clear" the control. At best user can "replace" the selected file
with another but not clear it.

Have you tried a reset button next to your submit button? That should
certainly clear your form field.

However, it is normally recommended never to actually *use* a reset
button. I think you would find that most web surfers are smart enough to
know how to overtype or clear an input field.

Jonathan N. Little

That's _dorayme_
Well, the situation happens when a user select a file then decides that
they dont want to upload any file. THen there is no way to "clear" the
control. At best user can "replace" the selected file with another but
not clear it.

<input type="reset" value="Clear Me!">

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
That's _dorayme_

Thank you, J. It is so draining having to reminding folk of this.
They mean well, in fact the "D" is a mark of respect and I am
therefore, naturally, a little reluctant to correct them -
however little I deserve it.

effendi

dorayme said:
Thank you, J. It is so draining having to reminding folk of this.
They mean well, in fact the "D" is a mark of respect and I am
therefore, naturally, a little reluctant to correct them -
however little I deserve it.

dorayme, Jon

Thanks for the input.

effendi

I have a file upload control in a form. In all browsers, the file input
box is displayed. So if users make an error, the can simply clear the
field. In safari, the input box is not displayed, How can I provide a
functionaliity to clear the input box if the users choose to clear it?

Thanks in advance.

JUst in case I wasnt clear, the images below are taken from the screen
dump of MS IE and Safar.

<http://202.172.239.193/images/safari.gif

http://202.172.239.193/images/ms.gif