How to effectively use custom error page for debugging

Tom Conlon

I have a classic problem, "asp.net app works fine on my PC with local IIS"
but when i deploy to my [commercial, on internet] web host (where i am a
customer, not an admin), it doesn't work. So, boo-hoo, can't use VS
debugging on server, and error details are not given by asp.net on its
standard error page anymore. I understand i can define a custom error page,
but do not see how to write the information i want to that page. Do you
write to a file on the server, then read that file when the custom error
page loads? Etc.
Can anybody point me to an example of writing within your page code,
messages to the custom error page, then displaying it?
Thank you.

Brock Allen

Look into the Application_Error event handler in global.asax. This event
is fired when all unhandled exceptions are thrown. This is a perfect place
to log those errors.