    eventually my array is smaller and smaller. Any other idea?

    Thanks,

    Li

    Li Chen, Jan 15, 2008

  2. Li Chen

    Phrogz Guest

    I agree that removing the items is the way to go.

    To start with, create an array filled with unique numbers. Depending
    on your needs, you may want to just do something like:
    @array = (1..2000).map{ rand(max_rand_size) }.uniq
    You may end up with less then 2,000 values, depending on how big
    max_rand_size is.

    Then randomize the array.
    @array = @array.sort_by{ rand }

    Then just pop the values off the array each time you need one.
    value = @array.pop

    Here's a similar example I wrote in JavaScript for someone years ago:
    http://phrogz.net/tmp/7x7_random.html
    It differs in that it required a specific set of numbers in a random
    but non-repeating order.

    Phrogz, Jan 15, 2008

  3. Li Chen

    Phrogz Guest

    5.times{
    me.stare_at( :word=>"then" )

    me.stare_at( :eek:bject=>"fingers", :using=>:horror, :modifier=>:increasing )
    }

    me.rename( :eek:bject=>"fingers", "homonymic transcription devices" )

    me.puts "Ugh. I _hate_ it when other people type that, too."

    me.last_post.gsub 'less then', 'less than'

    me.sigh

    Phrogz, Jan 15, 2008
  4. Li Chen

    Gareth Adams Guest

    If you want to be picky then it should be "fewer" too

    You have "fewer" things you can have "a few" of
    ~~ fewer/a few values NOT fewer/a few time

    You have "less" things you can have "a little" of
    ~~ less/a little time NOT less/a little values

    But then you still have a "than" to deal with

    Gareth Adams, Jan 15, 2008
  5. How "random" does random have to be?

    Paul Stickney, Jan 15, 2008
  6. Li Chen

    Li Chen Guest

    Hi,

    Thank you all for the inputs and the ideas.

    Li

    Li Chen, Jan 16, 2008