how to include a html navbar when using framesets

Rahul

I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a standard
snippet within <body> tags like so:

###################
<head>
<link href="topbar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<?php include("navbar.html"); ?>
foo content
###################

But apparantly framesets cannot go within body tags. One of my new
webpages has four charts on it like so:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/debug_frames.jpg

############

<frameset rows="50%,50%">
<frameset cols="50%,50%">
<frame src="euclid_jobs_waittimes.html" />
<frame src="euclid_historic_cpuhrs_share.html" />
</frameset>
<frameset cols="50%,50%">
<frame src="euclid_jobs_servers.html" />
<frame src="euclid_jobs_runtimes.html" />
</frameset>
</frameset>

################

But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the <body>
tags. Any tips?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I was used to adding a navbar for navigation etc. by including a
standard snippet within <body> tags like so:
But now I am lost as to how I can still include the navbar. I can't
figure out how to combine frames and a html navbar that needs the

Yet another frameset.

Jerry Stuckle

Rahul said:
[...]

Try an HTML newsgroup.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Denis McMahon

Try an HTML newsgroup.

What Jerry means is:

(a) Ask in an HTML newsgroup where in your frameset you can insert
content (i.e. the navigation bar).

(b) Insert your variant of "<?php include('nav.php'); ?>" at the
relevant place.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Adrienne Boswell

[...]

I see no need for frames here. I would do something like:

<?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>
<?php include "waittimes.php"; ?>
<?php include "shares.php"; ?>
<?php include "servers.php; ?>
<?php include "runtime.php"; ?>
<?php "footer_inc.php"; ?>

Then your CSS:
#header {/* your header styles */}
#waittimes, #shares, #servers, #runtime {width:45%; height:50%;
overflow:scroll;}
#waittimes, #servers {clear:left; float:left;}
#footer {clear:left; /* other footer styles */}

Play around with margins to suit.

Rahul

I see no need for frames here. I would do something like:

<?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>
[snip]

Thanks! That works too. I was just using frames before as it allowed me a
nice way to get the ability to automatically scroll the plots when they
happen to be large in size. But your solution fixes that.