Framesets

Gregc.

G'day

I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

Greg

Travis Newbury

Gregc. said:
G'day
Hi

I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:
...Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

ME FIRST, ME FIRST,

You can overcome it by losing the frames....

Paul Watt

Gregc. said:
G'day

I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

Greg

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=why+frames+are+evil&meta=

but if you still instist on useing frames(i pray you wont) look up the
target attribute.

Paul

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Gregc. said:
G'day

I am designing a frameset whereby I have the navigation page on the
left and the web page is on the right. Here is my code:

HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

However, what is happening is that when I add the address of say the
welcome page into the frameset, it appears on the left and mentioned
about. Could someone advise me on how I could overcome this.

How are you adding the address of the welcome page into the frameset?
In the section above, it should be like this:
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
<FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" name="main">
</FRAMESET>

Basically, just follow the order you add each frame.

On the other hand, I'd second the others' opinion about losing the
frames altogether and rather design your page to be without them.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

Gregc.

--
Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
<HTML>

<FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
<FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
instead of the right.
Greg

Jake

In message said:
Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
<HTML>

<FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
<FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
instead of the right.
Greg

Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?

BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.

Gregc.

Jake said:
Can you give us the url of the frameset in question so that we can have
a look at what you've done, instead of guessing?

BTW, you can't have three frames with the same 'name'.

--
I can't give you the url, because I am developing the site from
scratch. I thouhg name="main" refers to the right hand side of the

Greg

?

Gregc. said:
Well this is what I've done since I wrote the message:
<HTML>

<FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET COLS="200,*" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="nav_.htm" Name="Navigation">
<FRAME SRC="welcome.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="prices.htm" Name="Main">
<FRAME SRC="order.htm" Name="Main">
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

But for some reason, the left hand side of the screen keeps changing
instead of the right.
Greg

Yes, but since you've specified only 2 columns in the <frameset> tag,
the browser probably ignores that setup and does things its own way.
If you rather did <FRAMESET COLS="200,*,*,*" ...>, you might get a
different result.

Also, having three frames with the same name defies the purpose of
having named frames at all. In your nav_.htm file, links will be
defined as <a href="url" target="Main">, which makes the selected URL
open in the specified frame with the name "Main" (or anything else you
write in the "target" attribute).

dorayme

Paul Watt said:
but if you still instist on useing frames(i pray you wont) look up the
target attribute.

You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.

Gregc.

dorayme said:
You pray eh? This alt.html is indeed a church.

--

The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
the display on the right side.

Greg

Adrienne Boswell

The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
the display on the right side.

Then you need to educate your client. Frames almost _never_ have any
reason to be used.

Use a server side include and CSS to get what you're after.

Eric

Adrienne said:
Then you need to educate your client. Frames almost _never_ have any
reason to be used.

Use a server side include and CSS to get what you're after.
You anti-frames guys are always the same. You never show how and always
reference links saying how bad the frames are that also dont show how.
Why not show him directly how to make the same effect using your method?
Post some code.
Eric

dorayme

Gregc. said:
The client insists on it. A list of web pages on the left side, and
the display on the right side.

Greg

Your reasoning is bad. What the client insists on is not a
description of frames. If he said to bring him the head of a
Martian on a platter, he is not dictating how you do this.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
Your reasoning is bad. What the client insists on is not a
description of frames. If he said to bring him the head of a
Martian on a platter, he is not dictating how you do this.

I thought Martians were all thorax, abdomen, and wierd appendages.

Jonathan N. Little

Eric said:
You anti-frames guys are always the same. You never show how and always
reference links saying how bad the frames are that also dont show how.
Why not show him directly how to make the same effect using your method?
Post some code.
Eric

##somepage.php:

<head>
<title>No Frames</title>

</head>
<?php include_once(navbar.php); ?>

##navbar.php:

<ul>
</ul>

Note for future enhancements:

Use an array or object for navigation links so that you can test for
what page you are currently on and either skip that link in your menu or
generate at as text and not a link to indicate that page you are on! Far
superior to frames.

Adrienne Boswell

You anti-frames guys are always the same.

Please look at my reply carefully. I did not imply that I was anti-
frames, I said that frames almost _never_ have any reason to be used.
You never show how and
always reference links saying how bad the frames are that also dont
show how.

There is no need to post these reasons here for all to see mainly
because the regulars already know this, and a lot of readers also already
know this. It would be a waste of everyone's time. The OP can check the
links at his leisure.

Why not show him directly how to make the same effect using
your method? Post some code.
Eric

This is not a help desk. The OP is free to search this group or Google
for means to do this.