How to pass value from one form to another form.

Jay

I have the following code in BookList.aspx:

<form id="form1" runat="server">

AutoGenerateColumns="False"
DataSourceID="LibSysDataSource" AllowPaging="True">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="AccessionNo"
HeaderText="Accession No" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="Title" HeaderText="Title"
SortExpression="Title" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="Author" HeaderText="Author"
SortExpression="Author1LN" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>
<asp:AccessDataSource ID="LibSysDataSource" runat="server"
DataFile="~/App_Data/Library System BE.mdb"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Books by Volume] WHERE ([Title]
LIKE '%' + @Title + '%')">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TextBox1" DefaultValue="%"
Name="Title" PropertyName="Text"
Type="String" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:AccessDataSource>
</form>

I can filter the gridview using the TextBox1 within this form. But I want to
pass the value from Search.aspx to BookList.aspx.

Anyone know how to do this?

Mr. Arnold

Jay said:
[...]

Do you have some code in the CodeBehind file doing a Response.Redirect
to BookList.aspx on an event in the Search.aspx?

John Morrill

Greetings Jay!

A little know but very useful collection for passing data from one aspx page
to another is the Item collection in the httpcontext.current.request object.
You can also access this collect via the Context property on you page.

The life time of the Item collect is during the request process. So yoou and
put data into the Item collection on one page, do a Server.Transfer to
another page and retrieve the data from the item collection.

In your case I assume that you want to do a Server.Transfer from Search.aspx
to BookList.aspx and pass the value enter on Textbox1 to BookList.aspx.

The other collection you can use to do this is Session. However this
collection life time is for the user session. It assumes you have server side
session enabled. Use can use session to pass data from one page
response/request cycle to another, but the data will stay in this collection
until the session ends or you remove it.

I hope this helps.

James Irvine

Jay said:
[...]

When you say 'pass the value', I'm assumming you just want to pass the text
box entry, not the result set of the filtered gridview, right? If so, the
simplest way would be just pass it as a query string:

string nextPage = "BookList.aspx?textEntered=" + TextBox1.Text;
Response.Redirect(nextPage);

Cubaman

[...]

I'd sugest to html encode every user input to avoid security leaks..

Mr. Arnold

Jay said:
[...]

You can also to this using a javascript function on the client-side
event without having to go to the server-side code behind file.

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
window.location = "http://www.google.com/"
//-->
</script>

The other line needed would be to find the ID of the Textbox to get the
string using a GetElementByID.

"BookList.aspx?somvalue=" + value