How to: Setuptools

ray

I would like to use easy_install, but can't figure out how to install it.

I have 64-bit Python 2.7.5 on Windows 7.

Following the instructions on https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools, it says:
Download ez_setup.py and run it; it will download the appropriate .egg file and install it for you. (Currently, the provided .exe installer does not support 64-bit versions of Python for Windows, due to a distutils installer compatibility issue

Being new to Python, I don't know what it means to "run it". I am not sure what I am looking at when I open it as the first line is "#!python".

Looking down into the content of ez_setup.py, I find:
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.6.egg':
but there is no entry
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.7.egg':

Searching for it, I found a version at:
https://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/s/setuptools/

This appeared to be a linux version, the first line is:
#!/bin/sh
and the content seems to be encoded.

There is an exe at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools, but the
instructions on the page state the .exe won't work for 64-bit installs.

Ray

rusi

curl -Ohttp://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
python ez_setup.py

Curl comes built into windows??
Does not seem so...
http://serverfault.com/questions/48...ommand-line-tool-under-windows-like-wget-curl

Also given that the question clearly says 'I dont know what it means
to "run it" '
I think your two lines could be too cryptic :)

To the OP: Sorry I am not being very helpful to you -- I am not on
windows now and dont know these commands offhand

I am sure someone else will chime in..

Carlos Nepomuceno

Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 19:57:47 -0700
Subject: Re: How to: Setuptools
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)

Curl comes built into windows??

No, but you can get it from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
Does not seem so...
http://serverfault.com/questions/48...ommand-line-tool-under-windows-like-wget-curl

Also given that the question clearly says 'I dont know what it means
to "run it" '
I think your two lines could be too cryptic :)

Perhaps, my grandma used to think English is very cryptic. ;)

Carlos Nepomuceno

Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 20:54:53 -0700
From: (e-mail address removed) [...]

Oooff! Talk of using sledgehammers to crack nuts...

All that is needed is to visit http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
with the browser and to save the file!!

Can you show me how to do that from a batch file? Please...

rusi

Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 20:54:53 -0700
From: (e-mail address removed) [...]

Oooff! Talk of using sledgehammers to crack nuts...
All that is needed is to visithttp://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
with the browser and to save the file!!

Can you show me how to do that from a batch file? Please...

What in the OP's question translates into a need for a batch-file?

And you are proposing that he downloads curl just to write that batch-
file?!?!

How come that proposal is not subject to the same requirement, viz. I
dont see in your recipe any:
"Here-is-a-batchfile-to-download-curl-without-curl?"

rusi

[...]

Since there seems to be no response to this, let me try (even though I
am not on windows)
Just point your browser at the link
http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
And save the file ez_setup.py

The more windows-y way of running this is to right-click this and edit
the run-with in some way that I dont have at my finger-tips.

The more old-fashioned way is to start a dos-box (run cmd.exe)
navigate to the directory where the ez_setup.py is saved
from there run the command:
python ez_setup.py

Do that and report back on what happened

Mark Lawrence

Since there seems to be no response to this, let me try (even though I
am not on windows)
Just point your browser at the link
http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
And save the file ez_setup.py

The more windows-y way of running this is to right-click this and edit
the run-with in some way that I dont have at my finger-tips.

Do this, something goes wrong, no output to see.
The more old-fashioned way is to start a dos-box (run cmd.exe)
navigate to the directory where the ez_setup.py is saved
from there run the command:
python ez_setup.py

Do this, something goes wrong, output in front of you.

ray

Do this, something goes wrong, no output to see.

Do this, something goes wrong, output in front of you.

The installation fails. The report stated it could not find the file.
Per:
Looking down into the content of ez_setup.py, I find:
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.6.egg':
but there is no entry
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.7.egg':

Since I am trying to install this for Python 2.7, it fails.

Any suggestions?

Ray

rusi

The installation fails.  The report stated it could not find the file.
Per:
Looking down into the content of ez_setup.py, I find:
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.6.egg':
but there is no entry
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.7.egg':

Since I am trying to install this for Python 2.7, it fails.

Any suggestions?

Ray

Mysterious...

If you are in hack mode you could try patching that file with the 2.7
egg name and md5
Both of them here https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

ie after this line
'setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg': 'bfa92100bd772d5a213eedd356d64086',

add this line
'setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg': 'fe1f997bc722265116870bc7919059ea',

However it maybe a better idea to ask on the distutils mailing list
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/

[And let us know how/what happened!]

Mark Lawrence

The installation fails. The report stated it could not find the file.
Per:
Looking down into the content of ez_setup.py, I find:
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.6.egg':
but there is no entry
'setuptools-0.6c10-py2.7.egg':

Since I am trying to install this for Python 2.7, it fails.

Any suggestions?

Ray

Try reading this
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3652625/installing-setuptools-on-64-bit-windows
which refers to this http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ where
you can get pip which is an easy_install replacement. You pays your
money, you takes your choice :)

rusi

Try reading thishttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/3652625/installing-setuptools-on-6...
which refers to thishttp://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/where
you can get pip which is an easy_install replacement.  You pays your
money, you takes your choice :)

Hmm...
Something new (for me)
Last I knew, pip was the supposed replacement for setuptools and you
had to install setuptools to install pip!!!
Maybe this has changed?? Or its different on windows??

Michael Herman

I have a great video on how to setup Easy_Install via setuptools as
well as pip -

[...]

I looked through distutils-sig/ . There were many finding the problem. There is a solution using Setuptools 2.7 bdist_wininst - http://groups.google..com/group/dis...?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Setuptools+2.7+bdist_wininst>

It wasn't clear on where to run things from nor did it address the missing 2.7 reference.

The reference - http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
has a 64 bit installer - distribute-0.6.43.win-amd64-py2.7.exe. It ran without error reports.

This all was to install netwokx. That installed without error.

Ray