How to use multiple profiles

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Peter Afonin, Feb 27, 2010.

  1. Peter Afonin

    Peter Afonin Guest

    Hello,

    I need to retrieve the user data from the different web application. In the
    web.config I can specify different profiles, but I cannot figure out how can
    I use it in the application. This is what I did:

    <profile defaultProvider="i90PartnerProfileProvider">
    <providers>
    <clear/>
    <add name="i90PartnerProfileProvider"
    type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider"
    connectionStringName="i90Partner"/>
    <add name="i90ProfileProvider"
    type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider" connectionStringName="i90"/>

    </providers>

    <properties>
    <group name="AddInfo">
    <add name="FirstName" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="LastName" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="CompanyName" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="Country" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="City" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="Email2" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="Encoding" type="System.String"/>
    <add name="IP" type="System.String"/>
    </group>
    </properties>
    </profile>

    On this page I need to use the i90ProfileProvider which is not a default
    provider and retrieves the data from a different SQL database using a
    different connection string (i90).

    I know that I can assign different providers to the login control, for
    instance, but how can I retrieve the user data using C# or VB? I've tried to
    play with the MembershipProvider class and some other classes - couldn't
    figure this out.

    I would appreciate your help.

    Thank you,

    Peter

    Peter Afonin, Feb 27, 2010

  2. Peter Afonin

    Peter Afonin Guest

    I have figured out how to get a user using the non-default provider:

    MembershipUser user=
    Membership.Providers["providername"].GetUser("username",false);

    Now all I need is to figure out how to tell the application to use the
    non-default Profile provider, in my case, "i90ProfileProvider".

    I thought this would be much easier than it is.

    Peter Afonin, Mar 2, 2010