how to use Net::HTTP.get to retrieve passed parameter?

David Street

A third party has written a program that passes a parameter via the GET
method. I need to use it to call a Ruby script and pass a parameter.

I have researched and experimented for days and cannot figure out how to
retrieve a GET parameter in a Ruby script.

Test code to pass the parameter is:
<head>
<title>Test Get</title>
</head>
<form action = 'http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.rb' method = 'get' />
<input type = 'hidden' name = 'parameter' value = '12345' />
<input type = "submit" value = "SUBMIT" />
</form>

I believe I should retrieve it with something like this:
test.rb
#!/usr/bin/ruby

require 'net/http'
require 'uri'

begin

print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n"

server = URI.parse( 'localhost/cgi-bin/test.rb' )

http = Net::HTTP.start( server.host, server.port )

response = http.get( server.path )

print response.body

# or maybe

response = http.get['parameter']

print response

end

But I always receive 'nil'. (I've tried many variations).

http.head( 'www.website.com' ) works and returns values as expected.

I'm sure this must be simple, but I have tried everything I can think of
and can't find an example anywhere.

Thanks to anyone who can assist.

-David

pharrington

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

[...]

this is not what Net::HTTP does. it is for making HTTP requests and
reading the responses, which is not what it seems your script needs to
do. documentation is always useful: http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/net/http/rdoc/index.html

You're looking for CGI, as it is a CGI script you are writing.
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/cgi/rdoc/classes/CGI.html