html code for downloading flash player

K.

Hello!I have a question to you.I have written such code:<object
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"
width="1" height="1" id="tlg_odliczanie_02" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="images/banner/banner41.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
<embed src="images/banner/banner41.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
width="1" height="1" name="tlg_odliczanie_02"
align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>Unfortunately when I validate the page by http://validator.w3.org
my page gives me errors after validating.
I cheet my page because I use above code only to make my
page downloading flash player if it is necessary. I don`t want to
display banner. I only want to my page shown the window
that your browser needs downloading flash player.
How would it be the code which let me do so? Of couse I would
like to have a html code which is good with validator.w3.org
standards.
Could you write for me such code?

Thank you very very much in advance
Marcin

cwdjrxyz

[...]

The main problem at the w3c validator is that embed is not and never
has been an official tag either in html or xhtml. Thus everything used
within the embed throws a validation error. The ActiveX path as
specified by the classid is taken by browsers that support it, mainly
IE and closely related ones such as MSN, ATT/Yahoo DSL etc. Most
browsers do not support ActiveX. The embed path is taken by such
browsers that do not support ActiveX. The embed path usually will
work, but it is poor code. This does not seem to bother some media
companies in code they write. However it is easy enough to write a
path for non ActiveX browsers using ordinary objects rather than
invalid embed. One can use a Microsoft conditional comments to route
to the ActiveX path for Microsoft family browsers only and to other
browsers only, for example. In some cases, an ActiveX path is not
needed, and IE will support an ordinary object. This is true for
flash, but IE will not start showing the flash display until it is
completely downloaded which can be a bother for a large flash file.
There are tricks that require a very short initial flash display to
prevent this, but I prefer to use the ActiveX path for IE to allow use
of the full range of parameters on IE browsers, if desired. I never
use a link to download flash, wmp, Real etc., because I don't think
that most viewers will be bothered to download and install a media
player when they are viewing my page.They likely will just leave the
page.

View the source code for my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/Fatty.php
.. for an example of this code. If you use a Firefox browser, you must
select to view the source code before you start playing, otherwise you
will not be offered the option to view source code on right clicking
the page. The video is designed for a good broadband connection, as it
has a quite large .flv video - about 21 MB. However the source code
should be viewable on even a slow dialup connection. It should be
possible to add parameters for both paths to allow downloading of
flash, but I have never done this for reasons mentioned above. if you
want the code in html 4.01 strict, view the page on an IE browser. If
you want the code in xhtml, use most other recent browsers such as
Opera, Firefox, Seamonkey, Safari for Windows etc to view the page.

cwdjrxyz

The above reference to the "flashsatay" reference is just one of the
older of several approaches used to avoid using embed and the
resulting hissy fit that the w3c validator has when it finds it. It
works, but requires an extra very small flash video and a bit of
action script in encoding the flash. I have not tried it using the
modern swf/flv flash videos. It likely will work for these, but I am
not certain. Among other things, use of the flv and container swf
file(both files are generated at the same time when you encode the
video) avoids the total frame limitation of old swf that self contains
the video. Thus it is suitable for large, high resolution videos as
well as small ones. This older method is just one I had in mind in my
response. A Google search will turn up several other methods. I find
it easier to just copy my code than to make an extra small swf file
for each video. I am also starting to use the object code as a php
include so that I do not even have to recopy it. One should of course
use the method that works best for you, so long as it works right and
hopefully is valid. Despite methods available to overcome the use of
embed for flash, wmv, Real rm, mov etc, use of embed still seems to be
more common than not. The fact that many of the media companies still
use it in code examples for their media probably has much to do with
the large continued use of embed for media. Unlike the w3c validator,
I won't have a hissy fit if I run into embed, although I had rather
see code that is valid at the w3c.

Travis Newbury

Hello!I have a question to you...
I cheet my page because I use above code only to make my
page downloading flash player if it is necessary.

Just put a statement on your page that you require a specific version
of Flash. Most Flash people publish to the default version. This is
usually a mistake. You publish to the version you NEED. In most
cases this is Flash 7. You will find that more times than not, this
player is already installed on the visitors computer.

The reason you don't version check and auto update, but rather have a
statement and link to upgrade is because the version checking and auto
upgrade crap will not work in may cases. For example the auto upgrade
is useless on anything but IE. So since it will not work on 20-30% of
your visitors why bother? You have to put the upgrade notice and link
anyway.

Also, if you want to validate read this:
http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

We use this almost all the time. And with properly created Flash, the
problem of waiting for it to download is virtually eliminated. When
ever I see one of those "loading" things in Flash I think to my self
what novices the Flash developers are.

K.

Hello!

I use SWFObject on my web page. I have found what I need:

<script type="text/javascript">
// <![CDATA[
var so = new SWFObject("banner.php?id=52", "fl_top52_f", "900", "100",
"7", "#ffffff");
so.useExpressInstall("expressinstall.swf");
so.addVariable("quality", "high");
so.addVariable("clickTag", "bannerclick.php%3Fid%3D52");
so.write("fl_top"+52);
// ]]>
</script>
Thank you very much to all of you for helpMarcin