Htperlink border colours

Jim S

Most of my site is pictures accessed by thumbnaisl with a ipx border.
My stylesheet contains the usual
a:link {color: white}
a:visited {color: #800080}
a:hover {color: red}
a:active {color: teal}
which works fine in Firefox,Opera & Safari (all windows)

However IE7 gives me an unchangable blue border.
I tried the ploy of using a:link:hover, but all that does is turn the
border in FF to blue with a white hover :eek:(
I thought IE7 had solved this one.
What I really want is a white frame with a red hover, the rest is a bonus.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Jim S:
My stylesheet contains the usual
a:link {color: white}
a:visited {color: #800080}
a:hover {color: red}
a:active {color: teal}

That's not usual at all, but it is usual to make the elementary mistake
of not setting background when setting color. What happens on a browser
with a user style sheet
* { color: black; background: white; }
?
However IE7 gives me an unchangable blue border.

That's because the border color is a property (the border-color
property) of the img element. IE has, conceptually, a browser style
sheet that sets specific border colors for images that are links. You
need to override that, e.g.

a:link img { border-color: white; }
What I really want is a white frame with a red hover, the rest is a
bonus.

Is the user supposed to guess that in _this_ particular site, white
border means a link?

Jim S

Scripsit Jim S:

That's not usual at all, but it is usual to make the elementary mistake
of not setting background when setting color. What happens on a browser
with a user style sheet
* { color: black; background: white; }
?
My backgrounds are all defined.
That's because the border color is a property (the border-color
property) of the img element. IE has, conceptually, a browser style
sheet that sets specific border colors for images that are links. You
need to override that, e.g.

a:link img { border-color: white; }

That works - thanks, and so does
a:hover img { border-color: red; }
Is the user supposed to guess that in _this_ particular site, white
border means a link?

There's a prompt on the homepage.

still just me

Is the user supposed to guess that in _this_ particular site, white
border means a link?

Heavens no! How dare he employ non-standard links colors! I'm amazed
that users on the Internet can even survive with non-standard colors!