I don't know how to work in remote web application, only local

lauralucas

Hello
I'm using ASP.NET 1.1, Visual Studio 2003, IIS 5.1 and windows XP as
development machine.
I can work in this machine locally and create web apps that I can
access via localhost. No problem at all.

Now, I'm trying to deploy the app I done to a windows 2003 server, with
IIS 6.0 and in wich I installed the Visual Studio 2003 server
components (for web development). It has ASP.Net 1.1 too.

the two machines are in the same workgroup in a local network.

apparently, with this configuration, I won't be able to debug remotely:
"For remote debugging, local and remote machines must be on a domain
setup or, if they are on a workgroup setup, both machines must be
running Windows 2000 or Windows XP. "

Ok, I can live with that. But I'm having another problem: I cannot open
a remote project.

This are the steps I did, I admit my ignorance, so maybe I'ts just that
I don't know how his should be done, and not an error or
misconfiguration.

My local application is called NDDTools and is located in
c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\NDDTools
the .sln file is located in this same folder.
I Copied this project to the remote server using "Copy project" to
http://192.168.1.242/NDDTools/
using file share:
\\VMN2K3\wwwroot$\NDDtools

this worked fine.

Ok, now I want to close the local project and open the remote project,
and start making modifications to the remote one without touching the
local one.

I close the solution, and pick "Open project from web" and enter
http://192.168.1.242/NDDtools in the dialog that appears.

A file open dialog in "My Documents" pops up asking for a local .sln
file.

I don't know what to do then. Is this the expected behavior? what .sln
file should I open? If I browse to the VMN2K3 machine and open the .sln
file placed there, I end working with my local copy again.

Please help, I'm really confused.

If I create a web app from scratch in the remote server, I can open it
remotely.
I need to have different local and remote separate projects because I
will be connecting to different databases in each one, and for
debugging the local app.