I need the user to allow an exe to run from our intranet.

Flyguy

I am trying to have the users within our intranet run an exe from our
website. The following is a simplified example of the html that I am using
to provide my users with the exe.

<head>
</head>

When the user clicks on the link the code automatically executes. It will
then fail because the code attempts to create a directory on the user’s
computer. I am compiling the code in C# .net 2005. How can I prompt the
user to allow my exe to access their local file system? I don’t want the
users to have to go in and change their IE security settings in order to run
this exe.

bruce barker

its not ie (it's setting just controls whether the app runs). your users need
to modify their .net settings (caspol.exe). your best bet is to write an
installer program in c/c++ that does this, and in turn downloads the .net
program.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi flyguy,

The problem you encountered is likely due to Code Access Security
restriction of .net runtime. Every application run on .net framework will
got through code access check at begining. For exe or assembly from web
url/http, they're not in the Full Trusted code group by default, therefore,
the clr runtime will report error if code in those assemblies try accessing
some protected/restricted resources(such as local file). Here are some
reference and articles you can have look:

#Managing .NET Code Access Security (CAS) Policy (Cont.)
http://www.code-magazine.com/article.aspx?quickid=0405031&page=3

#Secure your .NET smart client apps with CAS
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-1049663.html

#Understanding .NET Code Access Security
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/security/UB_CAS_NET.aspx

In addition, as other members suggested, why didn't you use the click once
project in VS 2005/.NET 2.0, I think that can help make creating such smart
client application much more easier.

BTW, since this should be a typical winform/client application issue, you
can also try posting in some windows form newsgroups for more ideas.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).